Tiffin Schools - Admission Arrangements 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

tiffinboys

Tiffin Schools - Admission Arrangements 2014

Post by tiffinboys »

It's that time of the year again.

Tiffin schools would soon be considering admission arrangments for next year. We will be writing to Tiffins again to bring in proximity/catchment policies. I urge all Kingston parents to write to Tiffins now before draft arrangments are finalized.
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
J50

Re: Tiffin Schools - Admission Arrangements 2014

Post by J50 »

tiffinboys wrote:It's that time of the year again.

Tiffin schools would soon be considering admission arrangments for next year. We will be writing to Tiffins again to bring in proximity/catchment policies. I urge all Kingston parents to write to Tiffins now before draft arrangments are finalized.
Agree with aproximity policy. Just to ask, is this an annual thing they do? Do they invite people to send in their views? Feel a little reticent to do it this year as I have a current Year 4 so I guess I am a year behind, but should write anyway I think.
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Are you aware that proximity rules have been considered in the past?

I seem to remember that there were a number of proposals... one of the favoured ones at the time was to come up with a distance policy that was centered on the borough and hence the measurement for proximity would start somewhere in Tolworth. It was hypothesised that a measurement from the school gates could not be used as since TGS is very North it is likely that such a scheme would lead to virtually no Kingston borough residents being eligible for the school!

Can of worms.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Those catchment (not proximity) proposals were contained in 2006 proposals by Kingston Schools Admission Forum. The working party was led by Cllr Dennis Doe.

However, these proposals were not agreed by Tiffin Girls, who were vehemently in favour of open selection. At the time, nearly 75% of admissions were from within 4 miles area surrounding both Schools, unlike current situation. TGS thought that to be good enough. Tiffin boys was also being headed at the time by TGS Head (Ms. Cox) under acting arrangements, so the opposition by Schools was united. And it was considered by LA that both Schools should have similar admission policy, even though Tiffin boys was its own admission authority. LA missed that opportunity to reform TGS admission policies and continued to do so until 2012, when it lost its control over TGS.

From quick recollection, Tiffins had 100% catchment policy till 1989 and then proximity policy. It changed to open selection from 1993.

Tiffins remain opposed to catchment. Some used to consider it illegal. Some thought that open selection was forced by 1992 Judicial Review. Hope that aspect is now clarified. Tiffins had adopted proximity policy. It was challenged by 2 local residents, but High Court upheld this criteria as valid and legal. Proximity would not mean exclusion of Kingston Children. As this would involve setting up of a minimum score to pass the test (like Bucks, Kent, Slough, etc.), only those eligible would then be considered on distance. A child from 8 km would have more chances than at present.

At the same time, I had proposed that 20% places be on open selection (like in Chelmsford, Essex) so that very high scorers would also be admitted.

On the other hand, Tiffin could look back at the 2006 proposals and adopt modified catchment policy, for example,

1. 20% open selection.
2. 40% - 10 Km from centre of Kingston borough (Tolworth Towers), on ranked score basis. Large parts of all the surrounding boroughs would be covered as well.
3. 40% - to children living in Kingston Borough, on ranked score basis.

Wallington Girls have two catchment areas in its over-subscription criteria. Nonsuch also has catchment area.

With the number of applicants touching 2,000 in each of the Tiffin Schools, sooner or later Tiffins would have to review its Admission policies. There are other legal requirements and obligations under the Academies Act, which they would also need to consider.
WP

Post by WP »

tiffinboys wrote:On the other hand, Tiffin could look back at the 2006 proposals and adopt modified catchment policy, for example,

1. 20% open selection.
2. 40% - 10 Km from centre of Kingston borough (Tolworth Towers), on ranked score basis. Large parts of all the surrounding boroughs would be covered as well.
The last two would contravene the Greenwich Judgement, as they would discriminate against applicants based solely on the local authority in which they reside. On the other hand a catchment roughly centred on the school would be fine.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What percentage of places are taken by girls/boys who are not local? Has it really changed so much since 2006 when you say that most applicants were within 4 miles of school? DG
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

WP wrote:
tiffinboys wrote:On the other hand, Tiffin could look back at the 2006 proposals and adopt modified catchment policy, for example,

1. 20% open selection.
The last two would contravene the Greenwich Judgement, as they would discriminate against applicants based solely on the local authority in which they reside. On the other hand a catchment roughly centred on the school would be fine.
Catchments can be the over-subscription criteria. The second criteria above is not catchment based - some schools already have such catchments e.g. Wallington Girls 2nd catchment area is based on a radius from junction - not from the school. The third criteria above is also permissible since Rotherham judgement, e.g. Bucks have first preference to children from the county. Kingston children can have the same preference for even 100% of the places.
mad?

Post by mad? »

tiffinboys wrote: e.g. Bucks have first preference to children from the county.
Actually I don't think Bucks do this, they use proximity. I think there is no preference for Bucks children as at times they will live further away than residents of neighbouring authorities, just like children do with Tiffin. The difference of course is that Bucks only have a qualifying score so proximity is important once a certain standard is met.
mad?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Daogroupie wrote:What percentage of places are taken by girls/boys who are not local? Has it really changed so much since 2006 when you say that most applicants were within 4 miles of school? DG
About 20-30% are Kingston children. 2007-2012 Admission data for boys is on Tiffin School website and admission data of Tiffin Girls was obtained under FOI by some parents/local association.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

mad? wrote:
tiffinboys wrote: e.g. Bucks have first preference to children from the county.
Actually I don't think Bucks do this, they use proximity. I think there is no preference for Bucks children as at times they will live further away than residents of neighbouring authorities, just like children do with Tiffin. The difference of course is that Bucks only have a qualifying score so proximity is important once a certain standard is met.
Currently Bucks grammars are Academies and have their catchment areas. Previously, few years ago, when these grammars were maintained schools, I had read their over-subscription criteria and Bucks children, who passed the selection tests, had first preference. The surplus places (yes, some schools had surplus places) went to out of county children.

The point is giving first preference to own borough's children under over-subscription policies is not disallowed. Bucks had this policy for its maintained grammar schools. Now Academies have their own catchments.
Last edited by tiffinboys on Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now