Literacy topics/ checklists

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fatbananas

Literacy topics/ checklists

Post by fatbananas »

Last week, DS had to write a newspaper report for homework. When he received it back, his teacher said it was great but the quotes needed to be shorter and it needed time connectives. Is there anywhere which has a sort-of 'checklist' for what teachers are looking for for things like instructions, reports etc. for each year group? I think if DC had this checklist that they could then look at their work and see if it contained what was required.

Thank you! :)
Seize the day ... before it seizes you.
fatbananas

Re: Literacy topics/ checklists

Post by fatbananas »

Do literacy teachers not have a list of things they are looking for when marking particular pieces of work?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

I had parents consultations recently Bananas and my DS2 writing was mentioned as there is a gap between that and reading, maths etc. When I asked what was it about his writing which needed looking at , his teacher said that he needed to look at it rather like a maths sum and include certain things to make the equation. She said she would give me a list of things..but mentioned, punctuation , sentence openers , that sort of thing. DS did mention later that it does put him off writing and his imaginative flow ...which I have to agree with, but I guess using no punctuation at all is a bit of a no no !

Haven't much time now...but will pm you later. :D
fatbananas

Post by fatbananas »

Scarlett, I knew you'd understand me: that's exactly what I'm talking about. There's stuff all over the internet about how to do the grid method, but very little about what the different 'methods' or ingredients are for literacy. There also seems to be an expectation of first-time-round perfection, rather than do the rough draft, then go back and see how you could improve it, as part of the learning process. It's only when you've done something dozens of time, do you know what to expect and, automatically, what to include. It drives me nuts [wish there was an emoticon with stary eyes, zigzaggy mouth and sticky up hair!!]
999 mum

Post by 999 mum »

Is this of any use?

http://www.storywrite.co.uk/writingtips.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Fatbananas, you can also download the criteria expected at each Key Stage level, if this is what you're thinking of? sorry if that's not what you mean.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I think you have to register - free, if my memory serves me well - to see these resources:
http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/ ... s-6062590/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I assumed it was KS2 you wanted information about.
GetAhead

Post by GetAhead »

I usually give the children I tutor some headings to help guide them in their non- fiction writing tasks. I think I originally took them from some workbook for writing skills :?: I have a few here if this is what you mean. I have a few others too if you are interested (they are on my other computer though so I will have to post them later):

Writing an Account:
• Only include the key facts
• Use clear sentences that give as much information as possible
• If you were there, write in the first person – use ‘I’
• Don’t put conversations in – just describe what people said

Writing an Article:
• Cover all the important facts about the event or subject you’re writing about
• Use exciting words to keep the readers interested
• Present all the facts fairly and write about both sides of the argument
• Include quotes from people involved in the story
• Use your conclusions to sum up the facts and mention your own opinion

Writing a Biography:
• Write about the person’s whole life, not just a short time in their life
• Concentrate on the most interesting events of their life
• Cover events in the same order they actually happened
• Only write about the facts – don’t make things up to make it more exciting
• Use subheadings to break it up

These guides don't really go into the use of time connectives etc but there are the Assessment Focus marking guides that teacher's use to assess writing levels that help teachers decide what levels to give.
Amber

Post by Amber »

VCOP is often used: Vocabulary (which is meant to be powerful, rich, exciting etc and full of wonderful adjectives); Connectives (which is why quite small children will often have writing littered with 'however' and 'subsequently'; Opening (makes you want to read on, etc) and Punctuation (things like ellipsis very in vogue atm). It can help children to focus on some important aspects; for me it is a bit formulaic but it does the job it was designed for. Some schools have a VCOP pyramid on the tables to help children remember what is required. Once you know about it it can be quite fun to scan your child's work for evidence of VCOP in action.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now