Sunday Times - Top 200 State Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Valmont

Sunday Times - Top 200 State Schools

Post by Valmont »

Been a little quiet on here the last couple of weeks since all the excitement over the results so thought I'd give a quick mention to the Sunday Times Top 200 State Schools Table issued on 16th November

National Ranking School
6th AGGS
47th ABGS
108th Sale Grammar
112th Loreto
137th Stretford Grammar
154th Urmston Grammar

The results are based on 2012 A level results A*-B grade. Seems to be quite a big disparity in the rankings considering they all regard themselves as being on a level playing field.
harrow123

Re: Sunday Times - Top 200 State Schools

Post by harrow123 »

Valmont wrote:Been a little quiet on here the last couple of weeks since all the excitement over the results so thought I'd give a quick mention to the Sunday Times Top 200 State Schools Table issued on 16th November

National Ranking School
6th AGGS
47th ABGS
108th Sale Grammar
112th Loreto
137th Stretford Grammar
154th Urmston Grammar

The results are based on 2012 A level results A*-B grade. Seems to be quite a big disparity in the rankings considering they all regard themselves as being on a level playing field.
can you share the link if you have plz
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Whilst mostly based on A Level A*-B grades it also factors in GCSE A*-A grades.

Do the schools consider themselves on a level playing field? I don't think that's been the case for some years now.
catmum

Post by catmum »

I agree with trafford mum. The grammar schools are not on a 'level playing field', People need to be cautious interpreting what these rankings really mean, AGGS for example is always at the top BUT it also has the hardest entrance exam (a significant difference between the pass rate here and at other local grammars) and also has the highest GCSE grade requirement for entry into 6th form, therefore these exceptional results, whilst fantastic, are a reflection of the student cohort they 'super select' initially and are very possibly no better than other schools if compared like for like with a similar student cohort.
We are extremely lucky in Trafford to be in the position of having the choice of all our fantastic schools (I have worked in several neighbouring areas at the bottom end of the school leagues and colleagues have only poor schools to choose from)
Valmont

Post by Valmont »

harrow123 wrote:
can you share the link if you have plz
The list was published (not surprisingly) on the AGGS website.

link now removed from AGGS website @ 28/01/13

The results do confirm my impression from the open days this summer (awe struck by aggs, left cold by sale) but still the gap is wider than I'd imagined.
Last edited by Valmont on Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ManYou

Post by ManYou »

Not bad 8)

.......considering there are 3000 plus state schools. Anyone have an exact figure?
GailJ

Post by GailJ »

Thanks Valmont- did it happen to mention St Ambrose-I couldn't see it on there? :?:
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

GailJ wrote:Thanks Valmont- did it happen to mention St Ambrose-I couldn't see it on there? :?:
It's on the list in 125th.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Didn't they get some of the results wrong for AGSB which has skewed their position? I thought I read something in the summer on the website about it but I could be wrong.
Elphaba

Post by Elphaba »

Or maybe it was the year before?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now