Bucks test paper Analysis

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
VR1234

Bucks test paper Analysis

Post by VR1234 »

Hi

I would really like to find out where my dd went wrong with the tests. Is is possible to obtain a copy of his script? can I get this under Freedom of Information/Data Protection Law?

Thanks
Etienne

Re: Bucks test paper Analysis

Post by Etienne »

Hope you don't mind, but I've changed the title of your topic from 'Bucks failure Analysis' to 'Bucks test paper Analysis'. 'Failure' is not a word we like to use here. :)
Is is possible to obtain a copy of his script? can I get this under Freedom of Information/Data Protection Law?
The answer to your question is 'No' - test papers are a specific exemption in the Data Protection Act.

The county will, however, provide you with an analysis if you're willing to pay for it.
Etienne
VR1234

Post by VR1234 »

Thanks. How do I go about this?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

This is a direct quote from the Head Teachers' Manual, provided to them by Bucks County Council:
Where a child has taken part in the 11+ testing process we are willing to provide, upon receipt of the appropriate fee:

1. Raw scores only - £10 fee

2. Raw scores, test papers remarked by hand and then analysed - £40 fee

We will only offer this service at certain times of the year immediately following the release of test results, and therefore all requests must be made within 21 days of the parents receiving notification of their child’s performance in the tests. Where a request is received after this date, the LA may refuse to provide the information.
Under Schedule 7(9) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, we are not required to provide exam scripts or the information recorded in them, hence we will only provide this information on the payment of a £40 fee as we are required to undertake extra work in order to provide the requested information.

In all instances, we would suggest that the parent discusses their intention to request such information with you. All requests must be made in writing and be accompanied by the appropriate fee.

We hope that parents will be able to request, and pay for, the services above online, and where a parent requests the information in 1 or 2 above, we will tell them how they may do this.

Any parent paying by cheque should make it payable to Buckinghamshire County Council.

Where this information is requested we will, in all cases, provide it to the Selection Review Panel.
The request should be sumitted to the following department:
The Admissions and Transport Team, County Hall, Aylesbury, HP20 1UZ
E-mail: admissions@buckscc.gov.uk Telephone: 01296 383250 Fax: 01296 383560
VR1234

Post by VR1234 »

Thanks, although I live in Bucks we had to take it OCC. Can I apply directly by writing to them?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Yes, you can.
VR1234

Post by VR1234 »

Thanks, on a remark if I then have the magical 121 is dd automatically through or do I need to appeal as well?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I am afraid it is almost unheard of for a remark to change the original score. The optical readers that mark the answer sheets are very accurate indeed.

However, in the event that it did produce a score of 121, she would indeed be deemed qualified and you would not need to appeal.
VR1234

Post by VR1234 »

Thanks, it's worth a try, it just that in practice tests dd had trouble marking the boxes correctly, ie a mark was made but sometimes it was not thick enough or long enough
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

My understanding, from a reply someone received from the Admissions department last year, is that if the answer sheet is unclear, the machine rejects the sheet and it is then marked manually.

However, as you say, it is certainly worth a try, especially if her score was 120.