Bucks non-qualification. JPK appeal thread

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jpk

Bucks non-qualification. JPK appeal thread

Post by Jpk »

DS scored 114. Considering whether to go for the head teachers panel, or whether to wait for an appeal later next year. Given the uncertainty over waiting, my gut reaction is to go for the head teachers panel, citing both extenuating circumstances and good academic achievement.

Have not yet had the discussion with head teacher over level of support but all key teachers have told us that DD is "suitable for grammar school education"

So, some points where any guidance welcome

Re, extenuating circumstances, DD was ill with suspected Somethng-or-other for the week of the first exam and hence missed it. Ended up not being as suspected, but still missed a week or ten days of final preparation time. Question I have is how much medical support should I look to provide. We have two doctors notes but they only state the issue and how much time should be given off school. Should I add to this or ask the doctor to add toot from their surgery notes with further details as we had a number of visits - 4 in total

Second question- does anyone know if the extenuating circumstances have ever bridged a gap this wide between the score and pass mark. Appreciate that this can only be done with school support but would be interested to hear any views

Thirdly, not yet spoken to Head formally, hopefully support will be at top level but wondering how much the success rate drops if the support is only at the second level?

Seeing other appeal threads where scores were 120/119/118 do make me think that this may be a bridge to far...

Grateful for any help....
scary mum

Re: Bucks non-qualification. JPK appeal thread

Post by scary mum »

If it's any help, I know of someone (first hand, not friend of a friend) who got through on 108/113 last year - must have had great academic evidence.
scary mum
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Given the uncertainty over waiting .......
Never, ever take a decision on this basis!
does anyone know if the extenuating circumstances have ever bridged a gap this wide between the score and pass mark
To give you a rough idea, look at:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scroll down to (f)
You'll see that at 114, the chance of a successful appeal in 2010 was roughly 14%. Those concerned are likely to have had very strong academic evidence and very persuasive extenuating circumstances.

The new review panels are said to want exceptional reasons for underperformace. Officially the only preparation required is stated to be the Bucks familiarisation & practice tests, so it's a bit questionable whether the loss of 7-10 days' preparation time would carry huge weight at either review or appeal.
wondering how much the success rate drops if the support is only at the second level?
If you're referring to a '2' recommendation, I don't think much distinction in the past has been made between a '1' and a '2' - what could be more of an issue is that these recommendations might be devalued if the particular school has 'overestimated'. In other words, if most of the children with a '2' at a primary school didn't qualify in the 11+, the '2' might start to look more like a '3' or even a '4' in reality.
Etienne
bucks mum of 3

Post by bucks mum of 3 »

JPK,
Don't give up hope I had a successful appeal with 113. I did have very strong academic evidence and extenuating circumstances. As this is my third time I am less worried and stressed about it now and what will be will be. If you can prove why your child did not do as well as they should have and you have the backing of the school then you have a chance. Even if you are unsuccessful I am sure your child will do really well wherever they end up going.
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Thanks Etienne for the prompt response. Re the section below

The new review panels are said to want exceptional reasons for underperformace. Officially the only preparation required is stated to be the Bucks familiarisation & practice tests, so it's a bit questionable whether the loss of 7-10 days' preparation time would carry huge weight at either review or appeal.

I guess my thinking was it was seven or ten days between the familiarisation and the actual exams would be quite a part of the prep time. Also, it was seven or ten days when everyone else was doing final prep. There is one other factor which I will put in, but too confidential for this forum.
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

bucks mum of 3 wrote:JPK,
Don't give up hope I had a successful appeal with 113. I did have very strong academic evidence and extenuating circumstances. As this is my third time I am less worried and stressed about it now and what will be will be. If you can prove why your child did not do as well as they should have and you have the backing of the school then you have a chance. Even if you are unsuccessful I am sure your child will do really well wherever they end up going.
Thanks for the support.....
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I guess my thinking was it was seven or ten days between the familiarisation and the actual exams would be quite a part of the prep time.
I can understand 'the significance' from your point of view - but if the 'official' position is that the only preparation required is the Bucks familiarisation & practice tests, and assuming your daughter did these, I doubt you will have a strong argument on that specific point.

You might submit that daughter still wasn't feeling her usual self - but the counter argument would be that she shouldn't have been allowed to sit the test in that situation.

My advice is not to get hung up on extenuating circs. They are what they are.
Just submit the GP's letter of support and let it speak for itself.
Focus all your energies on compiling the strongest possible academic evidence, without which no review or appeal is going to succeed!
Etienne
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Hi, I'm trying to locate the bucks Headteacher's manual but cannot seem to get the link to work.....can someone repost the link for me? Thanks
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

https://schoolsweb.buckscc.gov.uk/schoo ... R_2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope that works?
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Thank you :D