sbates appeal thread (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sbates

sbates appeal thread (Bucks)

Post by sbates »

Thanks Sally Ann. Coul you guide me where to start a thread. Not very pc literate! Son definitely wants to appeal and having preempted with the school last week they said they had already put him on their list submitted to county as expecting to pass! I appreciate this year is new so it will be difficult to advise but any tips would be appreciated!
Etienne

Re: sbates appeal thread

Post by Etienne »

See E9 onwards:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... laneous#e9" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It is to be anticipated that many parents will be coming on to the forum anxiously seeking advice whether they should focus their efforts on a review or an appeal. There is no easy answer to this. All we can say is "Think very carefully - be aware that if you opt for a review, the scope of any subsequent appeal to an independent panel could be severely curtailed".
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=29356" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
sbates

Post by sbates »

Thank you for setting up my thread. I guess there is not much that can be done yet. School advised to make appointments next week which I will do. Academically end of July he was maths 5c, reading 5b, writing 5c. He's had a Rocky start this term and they did sats week after 11+ which affected his results. No change in maths or reading but a 4a in writing. He is grade 3 violin, grade 1 drumming and bass, represented bucks county in districts sports for running and athletics. He plays for school rugby and football and cross country and has a fantastic attitude to school. Very little extenuating circumstances other than he was off sick the day before the second test with sickness which made him tired but was well enough to take test. Day after test I had to report to school that he had a breakdown in the car smashing his head on the dash board from stress but that was post the exam. Any ideas what I should include in my statement? First time round and this is devastating!
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

It's horrible, all I can say is take a deep breath. Start to compile academic evidence - find recent reports, talk to your child's headteacher to get their support and keep posting!
sbates

Post by sbates »

I was just thinking about further extenuating circumstances. The school was placed into special measures on may 2012. This was due in part for failing to improve on results. Could this be used in any way?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

this queston is discussed in the FAQ:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b37" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sbates

Re: sbates appeal thread (Bucks)

Post by sbates »

Ok a few days on and not much sleep I have managed to put a few things down which I feel may help. To recap: vrt scores 116/120. Yr 5 June sats = 5c reading 5b maths 5c writing. Sep scores no change in reading and maths but a drop in writing to 4b. I was called in 5 weeks at the beginning of autumn term as his teacher raised concern over his lack of concentration, ability to focus and silly behaviour. We put it down to 11+ stress. He then had a breakdown an said he was scared to fail as he thought he would be bullied at secondary school. I reported this to his teacher and she adressed the whole class about it. Poat test and second sats results cried again expressing concern over bullying. Went to head to ask to resit sat test. She was not concerned and didn't think necessary. After result I asked what was his main concern he said bullying. I will address this next week with the head again. I'm convinced its all imaginary but obviously it has played on his mind. Other factors: my father has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and very sick and my son father started new job with extremely long hours and weekend working causing family rows. Perhaps these affected his behaviour. What should I focus on? Any guidance would be appreciated, thank you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Perhaps these affected his behaviour.
It looks to me as if you will be depending on the school for proof of extenuating circumstances (i.e. the effect on the child). I assume they will refer to concerns about bullying. The best you can hope for is that they come up with some such line as "Other contributory factors may have been ........"
I don't think it will help your case for you to speculate about possible causal links.

Apart from talking to the school about all these matters, your focus really ought to be on academic evidence.
Etienne
sbates

Post by sbates »

Thank you Etienne. Have been into school today. They are strongly supporting his appeal. He is a 1/1 with expected 5 and level 6 in maths by key stage 2. She advised to focus on his desire to study science as he wants to be an engineer. She also said to emphasise attributes such as independant learner, maintaining academic level whilst undertaking all other sporting/music activity, competitive/driven nature. She felt it was worth mentioning the terminal diagnosis of his grandad but to keep everything brief, as per your own guidelines. Any thoughts what I'm missing?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

sbates wrote:She advised to focus on his desire to study science as he wants to be an engineer.
Not sure what this has to do with qualification for grammar school.
She also said to emphasise attributes such as independant learner, maintaining academic level whilst undertaking all other sporting/music activity, competitive/driven nature.
Worth a brief mention, provided you don't go into details of sports, etc.! (Grade 3 violin might be worth mentioning, though, if it included theory.)
Any thoughts what I'm missing?
Have you ticked off the items in our list of academic evidence?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You shouldn't have to write much - the evidence should speak for itself.
Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now