Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Why????

Post by Guest »

Patricia et al,

Came across this Q.....

Which is the odd one out.........Duke, King, Queen, man, Earl

Answer is 'Queen', but looking at it from another prospective, surely an alternative answer could be 'man'.

Any idea why 'queen', should be the definitive solution on this one????

Cheers

BW
patricia

Re: Why????

Post by patricia »

Dear BW

Out of interest, which publishers? Standard form or Multiple Choice? Which area are you applying for?

If this is Nfer, then it would be finding 3 related, leaving 2 odd. The 2 odd would be man and queen.

As the question only asks for one answer, you could say Duke, King, Queen, Earl are all titled persons leaving man as odd. Or Duke, King, man, Earl are all males, therefore Queen is odd.

Patricia
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi Patricia,
Forgot to sign in earlier, when I posted question, which was from a bond paper.
I agree, it could be either. Thats the problem.
The question was indeed ......which one is the odd one out.
Decided to do some more bond papers, as there's lots of vocab, out of context, which will hopefully help build up my son's vocabulary. A good one we came across today was ....fast.....to go without food,and to be speedy.

Get's terribly annoying when there could be two possible answers :?

cheers

BW
mum

Post by mum »

another one,

15(32)2, 14(30)2, 12(?)4.........

daughter answered as 12x4 +4 = 52, right answer is 28 (12x2 +4) - i agree, but how do you say 52 is wrong? any special technique for 28 but not for 52 ?
mum
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mum

This comes from Bright Sparks, some of my children have come a cropper on this question, others who apply my rules correctly find the right answer. It comes at the end of a batch of these type questions, the last few do tend to be a tad more taxing.

15(32)2, 14(30)2, 12(?)4

Number in the middle of the brackets is bigger therefore ‘probably’ adding or multiplying.

15 x 2 = 30 +2 = 32 We are therefore adding 2 each time OR the number on the right of the brackets, which is also 2

14 x 2 = 28 + 2 = 30 The same rule applies as above.

12 x 4 = 48 BUT do we add 2 OR 4 [ in above examples the number on the rightr of the brackets has been 2, in this instance its 4

We have 2 answers 50 and 52, neither of which are on the answer sheet.

At this stage the child MUST NOT panic, they have tried the ‘probable’ route, it did not work. They therefore go onto the next route, dividing and subtraction.

15 + 2 = 17 how do we get to 32, we add 15 OR the number on the left of the brackets.

14 + 2 = 16 how do we get to 30, we add 14 OR the number on the left of the brackets

We cannot add 15 or 14 because the same rule has to apply, we therefore must add the number on the left of the brackets.

Answer = 12 + 4 = 16 add number on the left, 12 answer = 28 which is on the answer sheet.

The art of these is that the child must not give up, plough through them methodically.

Patricia
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

Simply, this is a "double the first number" then "add the second number" question.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

I don't think you can say its 'simply' double the first number and add the second number.

There are a number of answers for this question, its finding the number/relation that the author has chosen.

Patricia

Post by Guest »

Hi Patricia

Students need to work quickly and accurately when manipulating the figures to achieve an answer that is an answer option for the multiple-choice format.

We always look at the range of options that are available to the student.

We think the "doubling" then "adding", is an easier option than "multiplying the two numbers" then either "adding one of the numbers" or "adding a constant".

So we would consider that one first.

We would only need to move on to the more difficult algorithm if the easier one did not provide an answer that was an option.

Regards

Mike
patricia

Post by patricia »

Point taken, however the student must be aware of all possibilities. If 28 was not on the answer sheet, they need to know all options available to them.

Hence my little explanation above.

They are at the mercy of the author.

Patricia
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Patricia

A free Method & Technique Course will shortly appear on the website with a range of question variances for this and all the other question types.

Forumadmin can be quoted as being "VERY IMPRESSED" with it!!

Regards

Mike