Head teacher recommendation question (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
riverview

Head teacher recommendation question (Bucks)

Post by riverview »

Does anyone know if there has ever been any analysis of the success of appeals in relation to the level of HT recommendation? ie the percentage of appeals that are successful with a 1:1, or 2:1 etc.
Etienne

Re: Head teacher recommendation question

Post by Etienne »

I'm not aware of any, and I'm not sure just how useful it would be. What one head might classify as a '1' and a '2', another might view as a '2' and a '3'.

These are difficult judgements to make, and it's understandable that there is a lack of consistency between schools.

What may be less understandable is where there is an inconsistency within the headteacher summary sheet itself (a mismatch between the headteacher's recommendation and the headteacher's comments). Cases have been brought to our attention where the recommendation was, for example, a '1' ("exceptionally highly recommended") but the headteacher's statement of support regarding academic ability/potential was distinctly lukewarm!

The actual value of a recommendation may not be the same as its nominal value ,,,,,,,, :!:
Etienne
riverview

Post by riverview »

Yes i see what you mean. But I think it would be interesting to see just how influential the head teacher's recommendation is.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

It's certainly influential in so far as there has been a broad correlation with successful outcomes. (Almost every selection appeal allowed is likely to have had a '1' or a '2' recommendation for academic potential).

I don't think the attitude level has been looked at too closely - although a '3' might have prompted a few questions!

For an appeal panel (and probably for a review panel) a good starting point would generally be a '1' or a '2' recommendation, a borderline 11+ score, and level 5 predictions. Other factors are then taken into account, with each case being looked at on its own particular merits.
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now