Strong academic evidence, no extenuating reasons (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mostlymum

Strong academic evidence, no extenuating reasons (Bucks)

Post by Mostlymum »

Ds scored 116/118. September-born so not much room for error on the test.
Head recommendation of 1,1 - very strong support from school, extremely surprised at his results.
CATs from last month were 138 VR, 141 Q, 132 NVR, in previous years all over 130. School doesn't do SATs but head says at high Level 5 standard now for English and Maths, in top 5 of top sets for all subjects. Science is his strongest subject, he has been top of the year in the last four assessments.
We have no idea why he didn't get the scores needed, there's nothing we could point to as an external factor. In the last week or so before the test he suddenly went 'wobbly' on a couple of question types and appeared to be 'overthinking' things.
As we've been here before with an appeal I think I'm focused on what has to be gathered, school are providing whatever additional data we need including reading and spelling age.
I realise we're in new territory now with the review process but from your previous experience can strong evidence make up for the fact we just don't have a clue why he didn't get the qualifying score?
Thanks
Etienne

Re: Strong academic evidence, no extenuating reasons.

Post by Etienne »

If this had been for a selection appeal, I'm pretty sure your case would have succeeded - perhaps with the proviso that the head's overall recommendations looked realistic. The academic evidence appears so strong, I don't think an appeal panel would have been too concerned about the lack of extenuating circumstances for a score of 118.
Etienne
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

Thanks Etienne. The head is known to be rather conservative when it comes to his recommendations which will hopefully help. Would it be worth finding out how many he gave this year and whether they were accurate?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Mostlymum wrote:Thanks Etienne. The head is known to be rather conservative when it comes to his recommendations
Excellent! :D
Would it be worth finding out how many he gave this year and whether they were accurate?
You could try - some are more willing to reveal the information than others!

Parents going to appeal will automatically get the information in the appeal paperwork.
Etienne
Mostlymum

Re: Strong academic evidence, no extenuating reasons (Bucks)

Post by Mostlymum »

I guess the issue now is how to write it. With the old style, brevity on paper seemed important - you could explain anything further when presenting the appeal and the panel would tease out the extra things they wanted to know.

With the panel now just reading the head's form and the submission, it's going to have to be in more depth I would expect.

Our case is relatively simple, detailing a more involved situation could be a nightmare :( Is there any guidance around from the system which pre-dated the appeals panel?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I think I would still suggest the "letter of appeal for Mary" as a possible starting point.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ultimately what matters is going to be the evidence you attach, not what you write.
Etienne
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

True, the suggested letter certainly helped us focus our case last time.

Thanks again.
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

Well we have the head's summary sheet now confirming Maths expected 5 and giving English as 6. I assume there's no point mentioning KS1 SATs.

Going on the 'less is more' principle I'm wondering whether or not to include his end of Yr5 report as it won't necessarily add to anything the head's written. What do you think?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Mostlymum wrote:I assume there's no point mentioning KS1 SATs.
I wouldn't routinely suggest including the print-out of KS1 results - although, bearing in mind that the current school doesn't do SATs, I do see some advantage in your confirming level 3s at KS1.
Going on the 'less is more' principle I'm wondering whether or not to include his end of Yr5 report as it won't necessarily add to anything the head's written. What do you think?
Appeal panels certainly liked to see the year 5 report, especially if it focused on ability and achievement, rather than on "This term we have been learning ......." or "Hardworking and diligent, exemplary monitor ....... "!

Sometimes a statement of support can read like a reference, whereas a report to parents might be less cautiously worded! It could be reassuring for a panel to see that a statement of support is not just a rose-tinted version of the reality .........

If the year 5 report is good - as I expect your son's is - personally I'd be inclined to include it.
Etienne
Jpk

Post by Jpk »

Mostlymum wrote:Well we have the head's summary sheet now confirming Maths expected 5 and giving English as 6. I assume there's no point mentioning KS1 SATs.

Hi, I understood that the highest level available in primary school was a level 5 (per our head). Is this correct, or should I pursue it if others are putting down 6.?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now