Wandsworth Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
WimbledonMum

Wandsworth Test

Post by WimbledonMum »

Does anyone have any bright ideas for how to prepare for the Wandsworth Test? We are from just outside of borough and madly doing GL Assessment papers, which my boy is very good at. But not sure whether we should be supplementing with other exercises etc to boost his speed?
I have no idea how the test rates in difficulty level with eg Tiffin, so any thoughts gratefully received!
999 mum

Re: Wandsworth Test

Post by 999 mum »

hope this helps

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=24130" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WimbledonMum

Post by WimbledonMum »

Thanks for that 999 mum. I am wondering, however, whether anyone has any more recent experience of actually preparing for the test. For example, do Wandsworth pupils do in-school practice?
Is it still the case that the test is administered in small 'bites' with each section removed as the test proceeds?
Is there really no one else here whose child will be sitting the Wandsworth Test?
Jess

Post by Jess »

Hi there, my DS will be sitting the Wandsworth Test but I'm afraid I know very little about it. He's not in a Wandsworth primary, so I don't know if they do any practice papers but think they do. As far as I know, it is the NVR that is done in timed sections that can't be revisited. The VR I think is the usual format of 80 questions in 50 minutes.

Sorry I can't be of more help.
WimbledonMum

Post by WimbledonMum »

Thanks Jess. All a bit of a mystery, isn't it? I am amazed that there aren't more parents on here with views on/experience of the Wandsworth Test, given the numbers of children that take it. Anyway... we'll find out soon enough!
ClappedOutMum

Post by ClappedOutMum »

WimbledonMum wrote:Thanks Jess. All a bit of a mystery, isn't it? I am amazed that there aren't more parents on here with views on/experience of the Wandsworth Test, given the numbers of children that take it. Anyway... we'll find out soon enough!
Not that great a mystery - most people on here do not come here looking for Wandsworth (not in Surrey - :D ). The surrey grammars are of course an attraction to those of us living in the more inner of the SW boroughs (I am another), but we must be in a very small minority.

My DS is year away from sitting it. I do not know what the format. I understand its fairly standard set by GL/NFER. I understand its hard.

MY DS is not in Wandsworth and will certainly not be doing practice papers in his primary school.

I know a couple of children who have passed it. But that's all I know.
WimbledonMum

Post by WimbledonMum »

Well, the Wandsworth Test is over, this forum has been re-named and I am officially allowed to talk about it here (thanks, moderators). Hurrah!

I thought some notes about the format etc might be helpful for parents whose children will be sitting it in future years.

:: It wasn't too difficult, nowhere near as difficult as the Tiffin exam, for example (according to my son). He, at least, encountered no words in the VR that he was unfamiliar with (unlike Tiffin and Wallington, which he found more challenging).
:: It was administered in blocks of questions, with children told when to start the next block (every 10/15 minutes, apparently).
:: Answer sheets were not removed between blocks of questions. There was, however, no time to go back and check answers from previous blocks once they had moved on.
:: At the Graveney site, children who arrived early were allowed straight in rather than having to hang around outside in the cold. This made the whole process much more pleasant. Worth turning up early to avoid queuing.
:: Most important snippet of information: the mid-morning snack was biscuits and water.
:D
That's as much as I have been able to glean from a boy who is understandably sick to the back teeth of having to sit these ridiculous tests. And I can't say I blame him.
Thank goodness that was the last one.
Time to ceremonially burn those wretched GL Assessment books! Yee hah!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

WimbledonMum wrote: Time to ceremonially burn those wretched GL Assessment books! Yee hah!
Good luck to your DC, wimbledonmum and thanks for your input about Wandsworth tests.

Perhaps, you could pass these GL papers to some one in your school/neighbourhood. One forum member also requested for these papers few days ago.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 30&t=29550" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.