Bucks Selection Review where Head Teacher is not Supportive

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
user12

Bucks Selection Review where Head Teacher is not Supportive

Post by user12 »

We had our head teacher meeting and i am really sad as she is not happy to support our selection review. Our dd scored 116. She said she cant predict more than level 4's in year 6 SATS based on her year 5 report. What chance do we have if we chose to go ahead with the appeal? Her recommendation is 4:2 also. Our dd was not happy in her new school (she joined in year 3) due to bullying. Also dd is capable and very upset as her sister attends a gs and scored very highly in the 11 plus. Its a difficult time for all of us. Wondering whether just to wait and try the 12 plus if she gets her level 5's in her sats exams.
Etienne

Re: Selection Review where Head Teacher is not Supportive

Post by Etienne »

I'd be less than honest (and quite unhelpful) if I didn't say that, with level 4 predictions and a 4:2 recommendation, there's little hope of a successful outcome at this time.

Your strategy of waiting to see what she gets at KS2 sounds to me a sensible approach. :)
Etienne
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

It would probably be your best course of action. Academic evidence is vital and I'm afraid that 4s won't be enough as a projection for the end of year 6, especially coupled with a 4:2 from the head. My daughter did go on to exceed her primary school's projections and it gave us a route to the 12+ so I can recommend it as an option.
user12

Post by user12 »

thanks for the advice. However i feel she could have got through if she was not so stressed. Also her reading age and spelling is very high and got good nfer vr scores end of year 5. However HT says they dont look at nfer vr scores. DD will have to prove to them in may and do better than predictions so she can sit 12 plus.
user12

Post by user12 »

anotherdad wrote:It would probably be your best course of action. Academic evidence is vital and I'm afraid that 4s won't be enough as a projection for the end of year 6, especially coupled with a 4:2 from the head. My daughter did go on to exceed her primary school's projections and it gave us a route to the 12+ so I can recommend it as an option.

how did her 12 plus go? did she change schools? Thats what I worry about. What if they dont settle into new school after passing 12 plus.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

user12 wrote:thanks for the advice. However i feel she could have got through if she was not so stressed.
Unfortunately extenuating circumstances on their own are not enough - you would need a sufficiently strong academic case, and without school support this will be more difficult.
Also her reading age and spelling is very high and got good nfer vr scores end of year 5.
You didn't mention this in your first post, and it's not clear just how good the scores were. I think you would need a considerable amount of exceptional academic evidence to counterbalance level 4 predictions and a 4:2 recommendation.
However HT says they dont look at nfer vr scores.
I don't believe this is correct.
Etienne
user12

Post by user12 »

She scored 123 in nfer vr in year 5 and her reading age was 4 years above her age. Spelling age was also quite above, will have to check exactly. Thanks for your advice. My main concern is her y5 report does not reflect her true ability as she was very upset due to bullying at the school at the time of exams. her confidence was very low in her new school. i dont think her rate of progress was good as a result. Although she clearly has ability, the evidence does not show that. thats the problem.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

To be honest, 123 (although very respectable on a national scale) would probably be borderline for review/appeal purposes.

Reading age looks good, but I'm afraid a lot more evidence than just reading and spelling would be needed.
Etienne
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

user12 wrote:
anotherdad wrote:It would probably be your best course of action. Academic evidence is vital and I'm afraid that 4s won't be enough as a projection for the end of year 6, especially coupled with a 4:2 from the head. My daughter did go on to exceed her primary school's projections and it gave us a route to the 12+ so I can recommend it as an option.

how did her 12 plus go? did she change schools? Thats what I worry about. What if they dont settle into new school after passing 12 plus.
She did well and moved into Y8 at a GS. She has settled in extremely well. Most kids are extremely resilient and in my experience, more so than their parents. Changing schools for year 8 was no more upheaval than moving from primary to secondary in the first place,
user12

Post by user12 »

Thats very comforting to hear. So pleased it worked out for your daughter. I wish her all the best. I may follow this route. Your absolutely right about children getting over things quickly. My dd is already saying she is looking forward to her new non gs school. She realises they do have an ability range, there will be students like her who nearly qualified. My dd needs to mature also before taking 12 plus as she is august born so looking hopeful now. Thanks for your advice.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now