Interviews - what to wear?!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fairyelephant

Interviews - what to wear?!

Post by fairyelephant »

Dd is at a non uniform state primary and consequently lives in jeans or trackie bottoms. Presumably other children will attend interviews in school uniform so I should at least persuade her out of trainers, maybe even into a skirt! I guess in theory what she wears should not be relevant, but when faced with rows of neatly attired little girls, the holey jeans and purple patent doc martens might not go down too well?
Any thoughts?
mad?

Re: Interviews - what to wear?!

Post by mad? »

We were in the same situation a few years ago and I managed to persuade DD1 into skinny cords and a smart blouse/cardy ensemble (perhaps it was more than a few years ago!) with boots and DD2 into (new grrr) skinny jeans and the same shirt/cardy combo. I think it is appropriate to look clean/tidy and like one cares but beyond that the 'brocade trimmed stripey blazer ladened with more medals that a WW1 hero' look should provide amusing entertainment whilst waiting. :D
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sorry, slightly off-topic, but DH and I attended state primaries in completely different areas of the UK in the mid/late 60s (and for me, '70/'71), and he will never really believe that of all the schools I attended (Army brat), only the last actually had a uniform at that time...

Suggested outfit sounds great to me, BTW :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Thanks. Off to shops to buy dd some respectable clothes :D
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

My boys don't really go for the very smart look but I invested in a cord blazer for the older ones (different colours for each one), which get pulled out if the occasion requires them to be smartly dressed but they don't want to look like they made a serious effort - it looks smart for a child even if they wear it with jeans. They got a surprising amount of use out of them.

UmSusu
UmSusu
Sallyltb

Post by Sallyltb »

My daughter got a scholarship to a super selective independent school wearing her state primary uniform of grey trousers, white shirt and maroon fleece sweatshirt. And very well polished black shoes!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now