DCGS or... spent tons behind good indie?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tumpa

DCGS or... spent tons behind good indie?

Post by tumpa »

Hi all
My DS did fairly well in Bucks test - we live close to DCGS and within catchment so hopefully will get a place in Dr Challoners. [scores removed by moderator - it is against forum policy for scores above 121 in Bucks to be published ]
DS wants to take exams in City of London Boys and Habs (like his other friends in class!)
in the outside chance that he qualifies in either CLBS or HABS (or better gets some form of scholarship assitance) , wondering what could be the right choice overall?
go private and spend subsantial money (recover some through moving to less expensive area)
OR
DCGS. Save the money for future use , tutions, house etc...

my DS is quite sociable and ambitious as well , fits into new groups easily- so guess will fit into any cohort...
DCGS is a fantastic school but isn't there a (brand) perception that the good private schools (HABS, CLBS etc), gives that 'edge', 'suaveness'?

I am not in any particular camp yet and most of the time opinion in our house gets divided! I just want to check how others feel about it. It's not that the fees (for indies)don't hurt but if it is worth the money would stretch (yes even for the 2nd DS)!!
hermanmunster

Re: DCGS or... spent tons behind good indie?

Post by hermanmunster »

Really only a decision you can make! yes indies can give an edge of suaveness but remember that is just a thin patina and the child is still the same child underneath.

I strongly considered indie and opted for GS. Glad I did - have just discovered the costs of Uni :oops:
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

DCGS is a fantastic school but isn't there a (brand) perception that the good private schools (HABS, CLBS etc), gives that 'edge', 'suaveness'?
Not in my mind, no. Send your son to the school that will best suit him academically and socially and that will best match his other interests (sports, music, etc). I can't imagine ever selecting a school based upon "brand perception" or a perceived "edge" and very definitely not for "suaveness" which is the most comical adjective I've seen used in the context of a school...
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

anotherdad wrote:
Not in my mind, no. Send your son to the school that will best suit him academically and socially and that will best match his other interests (sports, music, etc). I can't imagine ever selecting a school based upon "brand perception" or a perceived "edge" and very definitely not for "suaveness" which is the most comical adjective I've seen used in the context of a school...
or perhaps "rahness" would be an alternate description? :wink:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

You may well find a lot of tutoring at those schools as well. I know what my choice would be (and I went to a good indie myself), but only you can decide what is best for your DC.
scary mum
MollyB

Post by MollyB »

I have had three through DCGS one still there, all attended independent schools first, all successfull and were happy, youngest one also doing well. Most people I know over a span of 8 eight years have used tutors some short term, some long term myself included. We didn't mind as we were not paying school fees and in classes of 30 the child is never going to get the attention they would in an independent school.
I do not think you are comparing like with like DCGS is an excellent state school but it is a state school and you are not going to get the extras that you would be paying for if you choose the independent route.I still feel guilty at times that we did not keep them in the independent system when finance was not an issue. I think you should listen to your child visit the other schools and then all sit down and make that decision together. We will always as parents wonder if we are doing the right thing but I would opt for the school that your son feels happy and comfortable with and put in the extras if you choose DCGS.
Good luck I have been in your shoes and know it is difficult but you have a choice many on this forum are battling against all odds to secure a place at a Grammar school and I feel blessed not to have had to go through an appeal process.
Yummiemummie

Post by Yummiemummie »

We opted for Inde. DS scored highly in bucks 11 plus but gut feeling was that he should still try for our first choice academic inde. Was right for us. The pastoral care is first class and We get regular almost monthly communications so any issues are nipped in the bud. Also the extracurric is excellent and he can do everything at school. As others have said you know your child best so observe his reaction when you look around the different schools. Money wise it's a big sacrifice for sure. We've just made the same decision for our DD, she has just started year 7. Poor DH will never retire! Anyway good luck.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

but it is a state school and you are not going to get the extras that you would be paying for if you choose the independent route
Such as?

In my experience the teaching at a GS is vastly superior in the majority of cases. The GS marking is more detailed and gives 'next steps' and I coud log on anytime and see up-to-date marks etc.
Y

Post by Y »

Curious to know, Guest55, have you taught in independents, or had children go through them? You make a very generalized comment, though I do appreciate that the comment you responded to was also somewhat generalized.

I have experience as a parent in both areas, and have moved a child from a state GS to a private school for reasons of poor teaching (though some excellent), atrocious marking (in most departments), and appalling pastoral care. I never expected to privately educate a child. Have another child in another state GS, and am very happy with almost all teaching, marking, and pastoral care. It really is down to the individual school - and the child in relation to it - and this is what other posters have been saying. One thing the state GSs can't compete on, though, is class size.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Quite right Y - does depend on the child, the school and I suspect, the part of the country - some parts have ace GS and the indies are second tier, in others the indies are superb.

Re class size - I found small class at prep stage was really great and I was glad it was like that - now kids are at state GS I do wonder if actually the class size is so important for seniors? Suppose again it depends on 25 well behaved kids against 25 not so well behaved kids ....

(disclaimer my primary school form had 44)