Missed by one point! (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

TLC11

Missed by one point! (Bucks)

Post by TLC11 »

Hello all,
Just looking for some advice after being devastated by the news that DD failed her 11+ by scoring 120. So near, but yet so far!

So, now im considering what to do next. To be honest I think we were both slightly complacent, and I really didnt expect her to fail. I dont think she did either.

Circumstances...

We just moved to the area this year. DD was devastated to leave her old school and friends, however due to work commitments on my part, we really had no choice. The move unsettled her, and I feel she is just starting to settle now. 4 weeks before the exam, my daughter, my son and I were involved in a road traffic accident in which I was injured. The week of the exam, my sister was admitted to hospital and delivered her baby prematurely. Again, my daughter was anxious and concerned about this.

During the first week in her new school she scored 118 in VR CAT. A few months later her score was 124. She passed both the 11+ practice papers in school the week before the exam with over 90%. She is predicted level 5's. She is in the middle set of her class (5 children being above her) and the teacher states she manages very comfortably there. My main concern is her second 11+ score of 114 (ouch!)

She is hard working, enthusiastic and ambitious. She has her heart set on our local grammar.

I am at a loose end. I dont know what to do for the best. One point seems so small, but is causing so much dissapointment!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as we are new to the area and I am not familiar with the appeal process.

Thank you in advance! :)
Sally-Anne

Re: Missed by one point! :(

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have moved this thread to the Appeals section. Do please take a look at the Announcements at the top of the section.

All the advice you need to consider a review or appeal is here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=29733" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... lification" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For academic evidence see:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you have read through those, please feel free to ask any questions.
TLC11

Re: Missed by one point! (Bucks)

Post by TLC11 »

Thank you for your reply Sally Anne,
I have sent some information to the confidential appeal box following a meeting with HT yesterday.
Thank you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks for the information.

Best to avoid "hard working, enthusiastic and ambitious". Academic ability is what really matters.

I wouldn't worry too much about how to word your submission - keep it brief, and let the documentary evidence speak for itself.
The layout of 'letter of appeal for Mary' may be of some assistance:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having seen the details, I would have thought you'd have a good case for an appeal. I hope this would also be true of a review, but no one can be sure what results the new review system is going to deliver in practice.
Etienne
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

Thank you very much Etienne.

HT has advised me to opt for review. I trust her knowledge in this respect therefore I will take whatever path she deems sensible. You are correct, who knows what this new system will throw up! Now I just need to submit all the necessary paperwork and wait...which is an incredibly painfull thing to do!
TLC11

Post by TLC11 »

REVIEW SUCCESSFUL! :)

Thanks to everyone on this forum for their excellent support and advice. DD is over the moon!
Last edited by TLC11 on Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
instantsunshine

Post by instantsunshine »

Many congratulations TLC11! Great news. :D
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

:) Lovely news - congratulations!
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Super news TLC11, congratulations! :D