appeals.... help

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bananaman

appeals.... help

Post by bananaman »

I presume that it is very unlikely to get through an appeal and wanted advice , scores of 119 and 117 on 11+ score 5 b reading reading age 15.4 spelling age 13.5, 4a for everything else , but head scores low at 2,2 .
Key stage 1 scores all level 3 except writing 2b is it worth putting these in
I except chances of appeal very slim in current climate with lower head scores but school say they will fully support and should be at grammar .
Any thoughts, only circumstantial extenuating circumstances which I expect will be ignored . Also all round kid lots of sport and other stuff etc but expect this will be ignored too . Seems only to be privately educated kids who have done well ...all seems very unfair to me and that state educated kids are penalised for lack of tutoring
3rdtime

Re: appeals.... help

Post by 3rdtime »

We are in a similar situation. However having met with the Head we feel more positive. DS is also 2, 2 but I think this needs to be considered in overall context of Heads submission and therefore credibility. We are still going ahead and have been encouraged to mention sporting achievements as demonstrates commitment etc.
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

Did you get any other pointers . I know so may people that haven't got in on 119 and 120 and clever souls .Horrible process . I presume any extenuating circumstances without letters or proof is probably ignored or possibly a more negative view taken ?
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

i presume the sats scores and the head teacher 2;2 are all a bit low for successful appeal ...any ideas
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

Forgot to say key stage 2 predicted 5b across board except 5 a reading
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi bananaman, I am not in your area but have had a hunt through and found a recen post about this :

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ns#p350238" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The important thing with reviews and appeals is to have strong academic evidence, extenuating circumstances play a much smaller part in the process.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

head scores low at 2,2 .
I suppose it will be the people who have 1:1 scores who will get it regardless of scores and then moving down to 2:1 and then 2: 2
We don't know how review panels will operate, but an appeal panel would not make simplistic judgements - it would look at the academic evidence as a whole, and analyse carefully:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... ue#p350490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Key stage 1 scores all level 3 except writing 2b is it worth putting these in
Probably not, in view of the 2b.
only circumstantial extenuating circumstances which I expect will be ignored .
Depends what they are, and what the evidence is.
Also all round kid lots of sport and other stuff etc but expect this will be ignored too .
Stick to academic evidence!
Forgot to say key stage 2 predicted 5b across board except 5 a reading
Sounds quite acceptable for appeal purposes.
I except chances of appeal very slim in current climate with lower head scores but school say they will fully support and should be at grammar. Any thoughts
Anyone with scores as high as 119/117 ought to be appealing - which is not, of course, a prediction of what the outcome might be!

Other (possible) considerations:
  • • how realistic the headteacher's overall recommendations are perceived to be.
    • how exactly the headteacher expresses the strength of the school's support: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b41" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • whether the school reports show high ability and real academic potential rather than just conscientious effort
    • etc.
Etienne
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

Does it matter year 5 sats are low 5b english but all others 4a ?

cats scores were ok 125-8 across board but not really good

extenuating circumstances are unwell grandparent but without medical letter as they are denying diagnosis at present-should we omit as will they feel not sticking to solid fact with evidence

will talk to head re level of support but expect the ones with 1:1 and higher sats will get through and rightly so
bananaman

Post by bananaman »

Forgot to say thank you for the solid advice Etienne - v helpful
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

bananaman wrote:Does it matter year 5 sats are low 5b english but all others 4a ?
Again, I can't speak for reviews as we don't know exactly what their policy would be - but for appeal purposes, 4a at the end of year 5 is useful evidence that confirms a perfectly acceptable 5b prediction.
cats scores were ok 125-8 across board but not really good
Also acceptable in my view. (Obviously, the higher the better!)
extenuating circumstances are unwell grandparent but without medical letter as they are denying diagnosis at present-should we omit as will they feel not sticking to solid fact with evidence
Just write: "Grandparent ill at the time of/in the lead up to the 11+. Apologies for lack of supporting evidence, but they are 'in denial'." Understate the argument, don't build it up to be a major point!
Forgot to say thank you for the solid advice Etienne - v helpful
You're welcome! :D
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now