Just Received Raw Scores for March Born DD

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

EmzMum

Just Received Raw Scores for March Born DD

Post by EmzMum »

I have just reveived my daughter's raw scores. Her standardised scores were 118 and 119. This turned out to be 70 and 72 correct. She got her Z questions wrong (she guessed them as she was short of time, as per my advice). Other than that she didn't do horribly on any particular section. The odd 'silly billy' here and there it looks like.

I am quite shocked that the pass mark was so high for a March born child. I would be interested to know what it would have been for a September born!

Oh well, we're appealing so fingers crossed. Thought this info might be interesting to you guys though.

It's quite funny that I'm at uni and if I got 90% on an exam, they'd probably name a library after me or crown me queen of the world :lol:

For my DD, 90% = failure (in her mind, not mine!!). She only had a little while to prepare because we only decided to move to Bucks in September. On that basis I think she's an absolute winner. Makes me wonder whether it's worth paying to go private in the event of an unsuccessful appeal. Not that comps aren't good but she is VERY academic and I really would like her to be challenged to her full ability. Oh, decisions, decisions!!
Mostlymum

Re: Just Received Raw Scores for March Born DD

Post by Mostlymum »

Good grief they're high! Am now very tempted to request September-born son's raw scores.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Last year ...

Code: Select all

Mar            65       117              69           118
Mar            68       121              72           121
Approximately FIVE more raw marks required this year to achieve 117 on the first paper (extremely close to your DD's score of 118), and last year 72 on paper two would have been 121.

:shock:
EmzMum

Post by EmzMum »

Did you guys just hear my heart break? haha.

So last year with her scores she would have passed both?? I think I'll keep that nugget of info from her!

Seeing her scores has bought her confidence back up a bit because she thought she must have done horribly, so that's a silver lining.
buzzybee

Post by buzzybee »

Oh my word, I'm shocked. I wonder what it was for a May child? Our children have all done exceptionally well and for what?!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Mostlymum wrote:Good grief they're high! Am now very tempted to request September-born son's raw scores.
Please do! Those numbers are absolutely terrifying, and I think it is entirely possible that a September-born child would have needed to score 76 (95%) on Paper 1. Last year that would have put them on a score of 130 - 141.
Mostlymum

Post by Mostlymum »

If you've seen my appeal thread you'll realise why him not passing was such a shock. Am now definitely going to get his scores.

What chance do children stand if that's the level they're expected to achieve?
instantsunshine

Post by instantsunshine »

Emzmum - thank you so much for this post. My DD is September born & scored 118 / 120 & not passing has been a huge shock. I shall now definitely request raw scores. Sally - Anne do you mind if I ask where you got your stats from as I would like to quote them on my statement for review (or appeal depending on what route we go down).
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

The stats for scores above or below 121 were obtained from parents who submitted requests for remarks. The stats for 121 were received as a result of an FoI request.

However, there is absolutely no mileage whatsoever in quoting them in your review paperwork - please don't even consider it. Last year's test is last year's test, and that's that.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Exactly. It's a standardised process so the scores are relative.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now