Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
asha

A Level choices

Post by asha »

Hi,

What would be a better combination: Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Music
or
Maths, Physics, Chemistry and Economics?

Is it possible to study for a degree in Economics without Further Maths?
Would Music be looked upon favourably?

Many thanks in advance for your feedback.
Guest55

Re: A Level choices

Post by Guest55 »

What grade has your child achieved in practical music?

UCAS website gives required A levels for each degree course.
asha

Post by asha »

Guest55 wrote:What grade has your child achieved in practical music?

UCAS website gives required A levels for each degree course.
Grade 8 Piano and Vocal. Grade 3 Flute
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Grade 8 would mean the practical would get close to full marks 30% under the belt before you start!
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi Asha!

Is the proposal to take 4 A2s?

Maths and Economics open up an Economics degree. Further Maths is handy but not, I think, essential for an Economics degree.

What are the target degree subjects and at which Unis? Check their web sites and you will know which you need. For example, beyond Maths and Economics there may not be any essential A2 subjects for economics degrees. ... As for Chemistry, unless it is essential for the target degree, I might be tempted to go with Music instead for the balance and for the extra musical training for life. (I know a future Medic and accomplished Musician who is doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry, Music and Music Technology!)
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi Asha

I would think very carefully before taking Music at A level - my nephew who also had Grade 8 piano did this and it nearly cost him his place at medical school. It's an odd A level - outstanding musical ability doesn't mean a guaranteed A*

My daughter who passed Grade 7 piano and Grade 8 flute after GCSE and was at KEHS ind was advised by an experienced Head of Music friend not to take Music at A level.

To keep the subject options open at Univ I would give consideration to Further Maths, at least as far as AS
asha

Post by asha »

Thanks for all the advice.

She does not want to do Further Maths, as Maths is her least favourite subject. She's finding the FSMQ quite difficult and so there is no way she has the aptitude for FM.

I think she's leaning towards Physics, Chemistry, Maths and Economics.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think maths physics chemistry is fine, even for economics at University - can understand the dislike of FM - Maths and Physics has more than enough!

best to choose some other unrelated subject to balance the others - at least to AS, I know not everybody likes music A level but it would combine outside interests ... (and yes I have come across people failing to get uni places because of it so may best onoy taken to AS!)
KB

Post by KB »

Can I ask why Physics if she dosent enjoy FSMQ maths? There is alot of maths in A level Physics - not suggesting she couldn't do it but would she enjoy it?
Am assuming looking at Economics at Uni so can see the need for Maths but what about Geography A level if is she is likely to be looking forward to the less mathematical side of Economics?
HimandHer

Post by HimandHer »

A/A* in Maths GCSE essential: Bath, and several others.

For an Economics degree:

A/A* in Maths GCSE "practically essential": all the top 10.
90%+ in Maths AS "practically essential": Cambridge, and possibly Oxford/LSE if you give in your UMS marks.
A in Maths AS essential: all the top 10, although the odd one might be "practically essential".
A* in Maths A-level essential: Cambridge, Oxford, LSE, UCL
A in Maths A-level essential: all the top 10.
Doing both Business and Economics A-levels "strongly discouraged": all the top 10.
Super mathematical courses: Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Warwick, Oxford (http://i50.tinypic.com/wrf8mx.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as a taster)

So you need to take Maths A-level, you should take Further Maths A-level if considering a top 5-10, and you should take Economics if possible, although it's not a big deal if you don't
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now