Maths stress

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Confused mom

Maths stress

Post by Confused mom »

Hi all,
Really stressed with all this 11 plus tuition for the 2013 test.
My ds is currently having tuition and I have been told by tutor that she is hazy in fractions,decimal and percentages. She knows the general concepts involved in converting them from one to another, but is confused with work which involves:

- squencing mixed fractions and decimals.
- improper fractions and decimals and so on...

Does anyone have the same experience as I have with my ds or is it just me.Also any suggestions on books that purely concentrate on the conversion/sequencing of these in more depth will be greatly appreciated!. :D
moved

Re: Maths stress

Post by moved »

Surely her tutor will teach her this. Otherwise, what are you paying for?
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Yes, surely the tutor should be showing DS how to do the maths correctly. Isn't that what a tutor is for? Isn't that what you pay for?
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi confused mum, :)

I understand your desire to help your child besides the work given by the tutor.
Amongst the AE books, I am pretty sure there would be one about fractions.
Otherwise, once the Birmingham library has restored back their computer system, maybe check for a book called ‘practise fractions’. It is for adults working on their numeracy but I think it is rather good.
Confused mom

Post by Confused mom »

Thank you for the replies,
Ds is with a tutor but in a group of 4, she has started a little later than the others and therefore is slightly behind. Tutor has said that she will catch up in time, but I would rather cover some of the problem areas so that she is level with her group( fraction/decimal/percentages). After this I would expect the tutor to work out the weaker areas and how she will tackle them?.

I'll have a look through Ae to see what they have and will most definitely try the library once their computer systems are sorted thank you for the suggestion JaneEyre :o
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Peter Robson's Early Maths also has good explanations and lots of practise sums - I think it is book 4. The forum shop will have the book
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

there is a short section on sequences in the Bond how to do 11 plus maths book. It focuses on helping the child to spot the rule and so work out the missing numbers. There are also more comprehensive sections on fractions and decimals. I think this book is very helpful!
Confused mom

Post by Confused mom »

Thanks for that fairy elephant/leanmemum. I have ordered the Ae publication book two at moment will see if it helps her, if not I'll try the Peter Robson range.

I do have the how to do maths 11 plus book, but not really gone through it in much depth, will go over the sequences and fractions topic and see if she understands the element of fractions and decimals combined in more detail. :D