Nativity

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
StJamesDad

Nativity

Post by StJamesDad »

Its that time of year again.
The DC are all dressed up and ready to give a star performance, we are waiting in proud anticipation, and then we hear those famous words.............."No photos please"!

Do any schools allow photos?
Anyone know why we are not allowed to take them?
Is it because some parents do not want their DC photographed, or a school level thing?
solimum

Re: Nativity

Post by solimum »

A few possible reasons, some valid, some silly:

1. "data protection" / "child protection" - ie someone might take a picture of a child and put it on the internet for nefarious purposes, or use it to identify a particular child. Unless there is a child who is at risk from a dangerous estranged parent or is a kidnap risk this seems unlikely. Any minor royals/ children of Russian oligarchs at the school?

2. The school wants to sell expensive professional pictures/video footage to raise funds...

3. The constant whirrs, clicks and flashes from cameras is very distracting, both to the children and to other parents trying to watch

I can see the virtue of reason 3, having had a school concert spoiled for me once by some extremely intrusive photography (and that was from a member of staff!). More likely to be some fear-inspired back-protecting version of 1). I'm not sure how they can stop some surreptitious mobile phone pics being taken. Just be thankful they allow anyone to watch the show at all without a full CRB check....
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

I would suggest that my DCs school is for reason 2
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Kind of what I thought.
Does reason 2 not conflict with reason 1 though?

I thought the no photo rule was before our school started selling videos.

Would I be right in thinking most parents would want to take a picture of their DC at school events?
JRM

Post by JRM »

At our school it is definitely reason 1. And knowing several children over the years in that sad position I don't have a problem with it. I would rather watch my child than worry about getting the perfect photo. School always give us a chance to take a photo of our child in costume at the end on the stage, when the children in question can be distracted elsewhere. To me the choice is 'I get a photo' or 'those children can't take part'. It's a no brainer

One year when it wasn't handled well and we didn't get any chance for a photo, the school responded by dressing the children up and then taking a photo for us and sending it home at Christmas. That could be done as a whole class or for individuals. For the childen who can't be in the photo, they just took some special photos of them so that they didn't feel excluded, and obviously those photos were never released.

Having sat through 2 Christmas productions this week, I'm about to go to the youngest's nativity. He is Joseph so I may shed a tear - although Joseph is a very minor part in this version. My biggest concern is that there aren't parents talking all the way through like they did yesterday. I shall be too focussed on keeping Mr JRM calm rather than watching the performance.
The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
Dr Seuss
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

This no photos/no videos thing is down to each individual school to decide.

My dd's primary had a very sensible rule about it.

Videoing was allowed (not that many people bothered, perhaps 1/2, as they wanted to WATCH the performance) it was quiet and didn't distract anyone.

No photos were allowed during the performance (distracting - flashes) but at the end of the show each year was brought up in turn and parents were invited to take photos then.

It worked really well :D
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

At DC's primary no photos or videos are allowed during performances. If you want a pic or vid you have to buy them.. Yet at things like sports day you can mingle with the children and snap/film to your hearts content.. Which is the bigger child protection issue?
scarlett

Post by scarlett »

We are told no photos during performances as it's distracting ...only afterwards when they group the children ...Many parents video on their mobiles and I'm getting fed up with having to watch my children through someone else's screen whilst they give their child the big thumbs up every 2 minutes. :roll:

DD does quite a few shows at our local theatre and they are extremely strict with the no photos policy. DH took out his phone once to see what time it was ( the performance was obviously dragging for him ) and 3 members of staff came rushing over ..for one horrid moment I thought they were going to bundle DH on the floor and carry him off like a trussed turkey. Now that really would have been distracting.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Head asks at the beginning if anyone has a problem with others taking photos, if he remembers. No one ever has.
mystery

Post by mystery »

scarlett wrote:We are told no photos during performances as it's distracting ...only afterwards when they group the children ...Many parents video on their mobiles and I'm getting fed up with having to watch my children through someone else's screen whilst they give their child the big thumbs up every 2 minutes. :roll:

DD does quite a few shows at our local theatre and they are extremely strict with the no photos policy. DH took out his phone once to see what time it was ( the performance was obviously dragging for him ) and 3 members of staff came rushing over ..for one horrid moment I thought they were going to bundle DH on the floor and carry him off like a trussed turkey. Now that really would have been distracting.
LOL. It sounds like they must have had him under close surveillance to spot that!

Maybe all these schools are frightened of terrorist parents who have put explosive devices which can be triggered by electronic cameras under the shepherds' turbans.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now