Bucks Appeal seems pointless - going for review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
39Dad

Bucks Appeal seems pointless - going for review

Post by 39Dad »

DS scored 113 and 114 in Bucks 11 plus. I have read all the relevant sections here and I am going to go for a review as he has 5C in year 5 SATS and expected 5a by end of year 6. There were no extenuating circumstances. I wish we had the previous system of being able to appeal in person to a panel in January as we'd have more opportunity to put a positive case forward - we'd also have more time to gather supportive evidence. I don't see the point in waiting to go for an appeal in May. Who knows? By then his chosen GS would likely be fully subscribed.

I doubt our chances at review are very good as he's quite a way off the pass mark and those scoring higher will have better chances, but this review seems the only sensible course of action for DS. Bucks have in effect forced the hands of parents to go for the review rather than the appeal in my opinion. If the review fails then subsequently appealing seems pointless, unless you can prove the review was unfair in some way.

Is it true (as I think I read somewhere here) that the review panel will not consider his class teacher's letter of support, that they go on the head teacher's summary form? This is a shame as DS has had an outstanding year so far in Year 6. Never mind. Good luck everyone with your reviews/appeals.
Etienne

Re: Bucks Appeal seems pointless - going for review

Post by Etienne »

39Dad wrote:I wish we had the previous system of being able to appeal in person to a panel in January
You are not alone!
If the review fails then subsequently appealing seems pointless, unless you can prove the review was unfair in some way.
Not necessarily - in other authorities that have this system, appeal panels have been known to take the initiative, ask awkward questions, and decide that they were not satisfied.
Is it true (as I think I read somewhere here) that the review panel will not consider his class teacher's letter of support ......... ?
I don't think so. What I think you've seen is an attempt to stop both the headteacher and class teacher being asked by everyone as a matter of routine to provide support, thereby creating extra work for the school (and the possibility of contradictory opinions!).

I see no reason why you shouldn't ask the class teacher - to see what the response is.
At worst, it will be "Sorry, it's against school policy." At best, you'll get the letter!
Any relevant evidence (other than school work) ought to be considered by the panel.
Etienne
39Dad

Post by 39Dad »

Thanks Etienne for your comments. There seem to be a lot of ambiguities on this subject.

I have found the bit about other teacher's support:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 56#p345919

"A copy of the completed Headteacher’s Selection Review Summary Sheet should be given to the parents. Additional letters of support will not be considered either from the headteacher or other school staff as the Selection Review Summary Sheet can be amended to indicate that it contains the opinions of all the school staff."
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Thanks - you're right to point that out.

I was focused on:
1. ............ If you and your class teachers feel there is value in recording their comments separately on the Recommendation Form then you may do this, adding in an appropriate heading and including the additional signature. This is optional, but you may find it reduces parents’ separate requests to class teachers if you find this particularly prevalent in your school.
:roll:
Etienne
39Dad

Post by 39Dad »

Just a quickie... he's a twin. DS failed but DD passed. Is it worth mentioning this as DS actually did better than DD on the familiarisation tests?
39Dad

Post by 39Dad »

Sorry, I also meant to mention that DS had higher predicted SATS than DD, even though DD passed and DS failed. Oh, this is so hard with twins who've always schooled together and been so supportive of each other and one gets through and one doesn't.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

he's a twin. DS failed but DD passed
Oh, I'm so sorry - that makes it really hard for you all.

Sadly, I don't think it helps at all for selection (although it probably would if the issue were to do with oversubscription).
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
39Dad

Post by 39Dad »

Thanks for that link. I do understand the review/appeal must be based on the individual.

I was just thinking it worth mentioning in my letter that higher SATS but a fail in one twin against a lower SATS prediction and a pass in my other twin demonstrates that the 11 plus is not perfect in measuring academic ability? And maybe they'll have a thought for the splitting up twins dilemma even though they're not supposed to. Do you think I should just omit any reference to him being a twin?

BTW - thanks for all your advice.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

39Dad - sent you a PM
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

........ the 11 plus is not perfect in measuring academic ability?
I suspect they already know that. If it were perfect there'd probably be no need for reviews or appeals ........ :wink:
maybe they'll have a thought for the splitting up twins dilemma even though they're not supposed to.
I'm afraid I very much doubt it - for a review panel it will be just a desk exercise, and they won't even have to witness the distress of parents face-to face. To be honest, though, whether it's a review panel or an appeal panel, I think they'd have to be quite objective and hard-headed about this.

Having said all that, I don't see any actual harm in slipping in a single sentence: "DS had higher predicted SATS than DD, even though DD passed and DS failed!"

It would be better, of course, if this comment came from the headteacher as part of the academic evidence ...........
BTW - thanks for all your advice.
You're welcome. :)
Etienne
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now