Tiffin Girls catchment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TiffinGirls

Tiffin Girls catchment area

Post by TiffinGirls »

Well well well, just received an email via parentmail stating that a catchment area is being proposed in their new draft admissions code... :o
KT1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 19
TW1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16
SW13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20
W4, 5, 7, 13
UB1, 2
SM4
CR4

(Potentially applies from 2014/15)
Last edited by TiffinGirls on Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twelveminus

Re: Tiffin Girls catchment area

Post by twelveminus »

Please could you copy the email in this thread.
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

The details are on their website but this is the text of the email...

Dear Parents/Carers,

Draft Admissions Arrangements for entry in September 2014

I am writing to you as Chair of The Tiffin Girls’ School Admissions Committee to inform you that Governors have approved the proposal by the Admissions Committee to introduce a ‘Designated Area’ as part of the school’s oversubscription criteria for entry into Year 7 in September 2014. This designated area will operate as a catchment area if the school receives more applications than it has places, which we anticipate will be the case as the school is generally heavily oversubscribed.

The proposed Designated Area is based on the area where the significant majority of our students already live. We have noticed that in recent years the number of applications coming from ever greater distances away from the school is increasing. The proposed Designated Area is therefore being introduced in order to prevent future pupils having to travel excessive distances to and from school, with the consequent effects long journey times can have on well-being, the ability to participate fully in school life while developing friendships and pursuits outside school.

I attach a preamble to the Draft Admissions Arrangements which explains the reasons for this in more detail. Section 5 of the Draft Admissions Arrangements for September 2014 (which are available on the school’s website) contains more information on the Designated Area.

The school is currently consulting on the Draft Admissions Arrangements for September 2014 and a response form is also available on the website if you would like to comment.

With best wishes

Yours faithfully

Fazl-E Hasnain
Chair of the Admissions Committee
The Tiffin Girls’ School
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

What sort of distance is that?
The Kendrick catchment introduced this year is approx 15 miles, introduced for similar reasons I think, keep the distances travelled reasonable.
Doesn't seem to have reduced the numbers applying though, as this year was a big increase on last year and I think the largest number of applicants ever. Those ooc may move into catchment if their DDs score highly enough.
TiffinGirls

Post by TiffinGirls »

Some of the travelling times are still an hour and include Ealing, Chiswick, Wimbledon etc. I think they are trying to reduce the number of applicants generally. It will be interesting to see what effect it has on applications should it be adopted.
London_Mum

Post by London_Mum »

It would be hard to time a house move just for Tiffins entry. The tests aren't completed before the CAF has to be submitted and Tiffins are not going to allow rented addresses to be used if they feel the move is temporary or reversible (otherwise it would end up like so many other schools where parents rent a tiny flat in catchment for the 9 month admission period and then move back to their real home after securing a place).
I would think strictly clamping down on this is a sensible part of the proposals but I am finding it hard to envisage how big the catchment area / priority area will be.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

TiffinGirls wrote:Well well well, just received an email via parentmail stating that a catchment area is being proposed in their new draft admissions code... :o
KT1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 19
TW1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16
SW13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 20
W4, 5, 7, 13
UB1, 2
SM4
CR4

(Potentially applies from 2014/15)
Hmm, W13, but no SW11?

An hour-and-a-half from W13 to Tiffin Girls, 45 minutes from Clapham Junction. Likewise Shepperton, you can be on the end of the Kingston line for access to both Tiffin schools and they are saying that the commute from West Ealing is easier? I used to live there, 25 minutes just to get to Ealing Broadway, it's an absolute hole.

Likewise the two Southall postcodes.

I would actually by extremely suspicious about the self-interest of those making these decisions. Obviously Southall is nearly 100% Asian. I imagine there is a high number of girls from Southall at the school, judging by the ESL stats. The commute from somewhere like UB2 5XT would be very long and arduous. There are plenty of places much closer/easier to get to from TGS that are not included.
twelveminus

Post by twelveminus »

Just to add, for me it's more problematic that someone is applying from Southall, as they are more likely to stay there and subject their daughter to an unreasonable commute, whereas someone applying from say East Clandon is presumably going to move house if they take the place.
WOTMum

Post by WOTMum »

We live just inside KT13 (from KT12) and our DD is in present Year 7. She commutes from Shepperton each day. Door to door it is an hour but that includes waiting about between car/train/65 bus if she gets one. 5-10 mins in the car, 20-25 mins on the train. It is straightforward and it's actually only about 20-25 mins max in the car if we drive to or from TGS from home if needs be. She is managing fine. However, Shepperton (TW17?) and KT13 would be excluded under these proposals. We consider TGS our local grammar school regardless of Borough boundaries - I will leave it to others to analyse distance/time spent on public transport but will follow with interest. I agree with Twelveminus - it is a very straightforward journey for us. Except when Fulwell floods!! :?
2outof3

Post by 2outof3 »

I agree that it does seem a remarkably strange Designated Area. Why not include KT11 - cobham area for example? Surely you can get to Tiffin girls from Cobham just as easily as from Southall for goodness sake.

It also doesn't seem to make sense to base your Designated Area on the places where pupils currently live. Surely all this does is just continue the problem? Are the only pupils they are trying to exclude the infamous ones that live in Brighton and the like, but how much of a problem is that really :?

This is one consultation that is going to generate a lot of responses............ :D