AGSB - Travel from Appleton.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
AGSBdad

AGSB - Travel from Appleton.

Post by AGSBdad »

Hi,
My son has got a good score for AGSB & is very likely to get a place there.
We will be moving closer to AGSB. We are looking to move to Appleton for various reasons including travelling to my & my wife's place of work.
I am aware of coach (?Mayne's) that goes from Warrington through Appleton & Lymm to Trafford Grammar schools. But it passes through Appleton somewhere around 7.20-7.35.
I am not sure about other kids, but my son would struggle to catch that. We are lucky if he gets up at 8.00 right now. I have been told that they change once they are in secondary school but then you haven't met my son !
Are there any other travel arrangements from Appleton to Altrincham? Are there any parents organised shared taxis etc? I have heard of similar arrangements from Great Sankey & am hoping something similar exists from Appleton as well.

Thanks,

AGSBdad.
yunny

Re: AGSB - Travel from Appleton.

Post by yunny »

Hi AGSB, you are right, there is a bus which passes through Appleton at that time, it stops along London Road, opp Lyons Lane, pass Stretton way so travelling down towards Stockton Heath, not sure where it goes from there but I have seen parents dropping of kids which attend grammar schools in Alty.

An alternative stop where you could drop your son of is somewhere along Rushgreen Road in Lymm. I know a bus stops along that road which takes you to agsb as other mums have told me.
traffmum

Post by traffmum »

Hi,
The bus does pass along Longwood Road at various stops anytime from 7.20ish from memory, then onto London Road. Our children do get onto the bus and we have now started dropping them off at the Springbrook as the bus is scheduled at 7.40, but can be getting towards 7.50 on some days. This then passes through Lymm and I think the last stop is at the Jolly Thresher in High Legh. Alternatively, the number 5 bus which is a public bus (and is much cheaper I believe) does stop at the end of the road where AGSB is located, although we haven't yet used this service so don't know further details.

In the past we did try a taxi share with another family, but it did get complicated due to after school clubs; illness etc and very few taxi drivers were willing to take on this contract as it tied them up at key times. Each journey also cost £25, which as you can imagine was very costly and not being lottery winners was fairly painful to pay out on a weekly basis.

Must admit it is an early start and is harder in the winter months, but our 3 children have soon readjusted to the morning routine. They also prefer being on the bus as it does give them some social time too, (although be prepared they may be educated in new vocab you weren't planning on them hearing so soon). I'm sure your son will be fine.
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

The no 5 bus going the other way must go via Alty terminus, as my son gets it on occasion after getting the public bus from Stockport. It seems to be frequent and reliable.