Handsworth Joining KE Exam 2013?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Optimist2011

Handsworth Joining KE Exam 2013?

Post by Optimist2011 »

Hi

I thought it would be good to share what I read recently from a Handsworth Grammar termly newsletter, my son received it recently from the school.

It states on the front page, news from the Head Master -

"Some exciting developments at the whole school level include us joining the Grammar School of Birmingham as from 1st September 2013 for our Admissions."

I'm guessing this is for September 2014 in-take - other parents can confirm?

Not sure if the above has already been mentioned on the forum - but it's useful information for parents and children who already attend.

In my opinion, this can be only a good thing for Handsworth Grammar!
JaneEyre

Re: Handsworth Joining KE Exam 2013?

Post by JaneEyre »

Hi optimist

It might be good for the Handsworth grammar school for boys... but for the students, that means one exams less to sit; so if they missed some pages on the 'D-day' (or crucial day should I say?) or were a bit poorly or too nervous, they do not have another 'back up' day!!!! Therefore, I find all these regrouping of exams rather sad.

A few years ago, boys used to sit three exams for the grammar schools in Birmingham (so I am not counting the Walsall one which can also be an option if you live on the right side of the town):
- Kings Edwards (so KA, CH and FW)
- BV (who was not yet part of the consortium)
-Handsworth boys

It might be stressful to sit several exams, but it is also 'safer' in case of unexpected circumstances (other example:pupil on the chair next to your DC reduced to tears and therefore deconcentrating your DC during his exam) !

This is just my opinion :wink: ... Anyway, parents and pupils can do nothing about all these changes which fall outside their scope.

Good luck to all the darlings preparing for the coming year!
um

Post by um »

Yes, this is correct.

Handsworth Grammar have joined the consortium and will no longer have a separate exam.

The Birmingham consortium examination on 7 September 2013 will also cover entry to Handsworth Grammar.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

Thankyou Optimist2011 for that update. I have a DS at HGS but I didnt get that update as letters home have a way of getting crumpled and ignored at the bottom of his bag until I tell him that I haven't received notification about something.

I think it might be a good move for HGS and the Head with his KE background was keen on this but, like JaneEyre, I have some reservations : DS2 who recently took the exam only did 2 sides of the cloze test in the KEGS exam and then sat there like a lemon thinking he had finished :roll: this was where I was expecting him to pick up lots of marks as this was one of his strongest areas. But that is what happens in exams - they do all their prep and then go and do something daft. It is good to have a chance at another type of exam too. I also think their exam gave more of a chance to bright kids from nearby who didnt necessarily have access to the more intense prep required for the KE exam.

Although I suppose if you ask the kids they might think one less exam is a good thing :D

UmSusu
UmSusu
moseleymum

Post by moseleymum »

I agree with JaneEyre, too many "eggs in one basket" as they say. If DS has a bad day then all school choices that we would consider would be affected. I am guessing the entrance score for Handsworth Grammar would be below that for BV.
newbiemum

Post by newbiemum »

Isn't there 150 places so QS would be similar to Sutton girls within the consortium. If it was included this year would have provided another option with a lower qs in for boys, but then I assume most ds did both exams anyway so as you say allows for a bad day. If the QS is lower though anyway due to numbers may not be a bad thing to be included? Or I may be wrong?! Just a different view.
The_Graduate

Post by The_Graduate »

Well done!
NASA

Post by NASA »

Definitely agree with the views above, if ds has a bad day it's all over no second chances :(