Kindle accounts

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minesatea

Kindle accounts

Post by Minesatea »

DD wants an e-book reader. We are currently debating between kobo and kindle. Kobo allows 13 year olds and above their own account with no credit card details so that is fine, however I seem to remember being forced to enter card details to allow 1 click purchase when I set up my kindle. Does anyone know if it is possible to set up a kindle account to allow purchases from gift cards without having to enter credit card details (which she obviously doesn't have).
stroudydad

Re: Kindle accounts

Post by stroudydad »

I'm not 100% sure but I think you can set a kindle account with no credit card details.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

I have the whole family on my kindle account as it means we can all share books, newspapers and magazine subscriptions. They can't order anything as don't know my password.
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Unfortunately being able to share my books is exactly what I don't want her to be able to do!

(Scuttles off before too many questions are asked re. taste in literature :oops: )
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

The way to get round that is to deregister her Kindle from your account each time she has downloaded a book & then reregister when she wants another one. A bit of a pain but at least then it is all on one account.

(Should we start a new book recommendation list :lol: ?)
scary mum
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Absolutely not a Kindle under any circumstances, we've just had one die. It's the replacement for the previous one that was the replacement for the one that died while still under warranty, Seriously, the thing is just not fit to be on sale.

Mike
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mike1880 wrote:Absolutely not a Kindle under any circumstances, we've just had one die. It's the replacement for the previous one that was the replacement for the one that died while still under warranty, Seriously, the thing is just not fit to be on sale.

Mike
Hence the little book on the market re uses for...

We bought one for DS1 for his birthday six months ago, but not sure how much he uses it. DH bought me the Sony version a few years ago but unfortunately, for me it's just another of those electronic "thingies" which sound like a good idea but which I find are less appealing in practice.
Minesatea wrote:Unfortunately being able to share my books is exactly what I don't want her to be able to do!

(Scuttles off before too many questions are asked re. taste in literature :oops: )
Just let her get the Mills and Boon out of her system now - she'll soon move on and stop reading yours :lol:
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

mike1880 wrote:Absolutely not a Kindle under any circumstances, we've just had one die. It's the replacement for the previous one that was the replacement for the one that died while still under warranty, Seriously, the thing is just not fit to be on sale.

Mike
Which kindle was this? we have had big problems with kindle keyboard but the newer one seems to be ok.

I have one account for all our books and send books to the children but use the parental controls to block buying books from the kindle and access to the archive - you can send books to each named kindle via your amazon kindle account on a laptop/ desktop
Minesatea

Post by Minesatea »

Thanks guys.

We have now gone for a kobo. The deciding factor in the end was that kobo format is supported by our local library so hopefully she can borrow some books rather than having to buy them all.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

have had my Kindle for a year, although I was not sure how much I would use it , I love it now..only trouble is that it is far too easy to buy books. I don't even have to wait for the post anymore. Mine is the 3G one so I can buy books anywhere , anytime..dangerous
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now