Slough consortium exam for 2014 admissions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
atenolol

Slough consortium exam for 2014 admissions

Post by atenolol »

I have heard a rumor that the Slough consortium exam for 2014 admissions, will be held earlier than usual ( usually in sept/oct ), possibly in June while kids are still in year 5. My heart sank into my boots and I have spent the whole Christmas looking everywhere and calling people. Is there any truth in this or do I just need to take a double dose of hypertension tablets ?
tiffinboys

Re: Slough consortium exam for 2014 admissions

Post by tiffinboys »

You yourself are calling it a 'rumour'. So why bother about rumour?

Otherwise, many more would need lexotanil. :roll:
Please support Tiffin School’s Gym Appeal. Visit school’s website to donate.
chad

Post by chad »

I haven't heard about a change..... and none of the schools have published their admissions schedule yet. Admission schedules are usually published by Feb. Dont panic...... everyone would be in the same situation.
dlb

Post by dlb »

Bit ridiculous if they do change it to June of year 5. It would then be a 10+ or even a 9+ for July/August born children!!!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agree with Chad - whenever the exam is taken the kids are all in the same position, all the parents hear when the exam is at the same time and all the kids are older or younger than the mean as they would be whenever they took it.

In North Yorks the test moved from late Oct to early Sept about 6 years ago - apart from some people having to make sure that the kids were back for the beginning if term (or before the term at some private schools) it made no odds and was out the way. If it moved to June things would adjust round it..
dlb

Post by dlb »

Don't get me wrong - I know it is the same for everyone and that doesn't bother me - but an 11+ exam should really be in the year they turn 11. If an August born was sitting the 11+ in the June of Year 5 - they would be 9 at the time of the exam. Crazy to think of a 9 year old sitting the 11+. I know it is all standardized etc but the difference in maturity between a 9 year old sitting a formal exam in June and the same child sitting the exam in November - 5 months older - can be a big difference. Yes it is the same for everyone but I am not talking about age related ability but maturity in stress from being in that test environment - the queues along the road to get into the school for the exam, 6th formers taking the child from the parent at the school gate, not knowing anyone, being in a formal test environment- the list goes on..... All I am saying is that I feel for some younger children it is more difficult because of immaturity especially at 9 years old than a child who is nearly 11!!!
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone!
chad

Post by chad »

I cannot see any of the Slough grammar schools wanting to hold an 11+ in June as they have all the end of year exams in that time. It would be a lot harder to schedule.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now