CEM at Bexley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fred

CEM at Bexley

Post by fred »

Having got over the some what expected change to the Bexley 11+ format, i have found it unusually quite in this forum for such an important change.

I have surfed the various forums for as much information as possible to try to get an idea of what to expect and help my kids as much as possible. One thing that I think would be a problem is coping with the new format and that each section is timed and the chances of going back to complete unanswered questions is almost impossible.

Time management seems to be a very big factor.

Having settled into the old format with my kids this change has been painful, but I must admit it seems to be a good format.

what are your thoughts, how has your preparations changed?
is Kent also going to change their format?
yoyo123

Re: CEM at Bexley

Post by yoyo123 »

There are rumours about Kent changing, including plans to make it less easy to tutor for. Nothing concrete so far.

Have a look on the Birmingham, Warwickshire and Bucks sections, there have been quite a few threads and queries about CEM recently
fred

Post by fred »

Thanks Yoyo123, it seems that the Kent changes will not come into effect till 2014 exam dates, I found this in an article somewhere, this also seem to be 'confirmed' by the time frames given in the Kent admission website.

there is helpful information on the Birmingham, Warwickshire and Bucks sections, but it would be interesting to hear how this has/will affect preparation:

there may now be comprehension????
the VR seems to be totally different; geared toward understanding of ant and syn?????.
the maths seems to be more of CAT style with multiple sub-question??????
there is now a CLOZE section?????
introduction of NVR???????
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

this sticky from Patricia about prep for CEM might help.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=30079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think that Warwickshire have been using test for some time so may be worth a search in that forum particularly. It's all a bit new for me - although I expect that Kent may be going down the CEM route too.
fred

Post by fred »

Yoyo

Patrica post is very informative and confirms what I have been gleaning from various sites.

Her 4 working areas is a good starting point for preparation:

"..........My Regime ( a work in progress)

At the moment I have split my tuition into 4 working areas. In all 4 areas variety will be the key. The test each year can vary in order to make it “tutor proof.” Be prepared for the unexpected.

Vocabulary

Synonyms
Antonyms
Double Meaning Words

VR (not your normal VR style questions as previously used by Bucks)

Comprehension – currently using Schofield and Sims
Cloze – Internet found/made up

A variety of vocabulary based VR questions

Maths

Word Problems
Old SAT papers
Common Entrance tests
11 plus tests

NVR

Using Bond for starters, just to get the feel but will experiment with other publishers as I know variety is important.
Me2010

Post by Me2010 »

I feel slightly panicked about the changes although appreciate this will supposedly spot the brightest without anyone having an unfair advantage of being tutored. However with the old system at least I knew where I was by doing practice papers and could see that DD1 should be able to pass the 11+ which she did. With this new system whilst I am told my teachers that DD2 is bright enough to pass I have a slight sense of unease. In her end of year 3 report she had higher levels that DD1 but appears much further down the class than her older sister who was always on the top table. School have said not to worry about where they are in the class and that DD2 is in a particularly bright year 4 class.

We will tailor tutoring and practice to incorporate the very helpful hints posted on here.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Some dp's used foundation GCSE maths papers, if that's any help. I expect they're available on line.
chg-2003

Post by chg-2003 »

Feeling slightly anxious too, thank you to all for the hints and suggestions for practise.

My main worry is that we were aiming for Kent and Newstead tests too, incorporating the GL-style reasoning tests.... that's going to be a lot of practise alongside the new levels of vocabulary and maths knowledge we now have to work towards for CEM. Am wondering it we should just aim for Bexley (but then all eggs in one basket) or do all three tests (but maybe not practise enough on any area and fail all three)?? Arggh! DD is very bright and I am pleased at the new-style tests... but still feel we should prepare. Must try and let her have an hour or two's free time before September :lol: :lol:
fred

Post by fred »

Chg-2003,

I am facing the same dilemma in taking the Kent Exam. In a weird way I wish Kent would also change their format as it would make things slightly easier, but it seems Kent have another year to go.

Maybe a way to look at it is to continue with the normal 11+ preparation, but adding in vocab and introducing Cloze and comprehension.

I am also worried if my kids will be able to switch mentally during the exam between the different formats as the 'CEM' format seems different.

Ginx

the website emath also has loads of GCSE type papers
christmasbonus

Post by christmasbonus »

We had been thinking of doing Kent and Newstead too, but are really aiming for Bexley, so will probably not take the other two after all. I have been looking at the Birmingham and Warwickshire sections since this change was announced. To be honest am a bit confused about the whole thing, I think I'm in a bit of a panic and not thinking straight. I'm even worried about the fact that the instructions will be recorded - supposing the DC mishear something?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now