Kes exam

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NASA

Kes exam

Post by NASA »

Hello everyone

Hope we've all enjoyed the holiday, we definitely have, a close family wedding and being Asian the celebrations wents on for over a week! :)

I guess I wanted to know if anyone knows where kes would slot in, in terms of exam difficulty between habs boys, dulwich, perse, Manchester grammer.

We've been working through these papers and ds gets an approximate score of 75-85% (that's going on my marking as I don't know exactly what they'll award for working out if answers are wrong etc)

Is this score good enough? Thoughts and advice appreciated :)

Thanks in advance
um

Re: Kes exam

Post by um »

In terms of comprehension, the standard formats of Dulwich, Perse and HABs are good practice, and these scores seem reasonable. Marking generosity can vary though - I mark rather harshly (so children can see where/how to make answers better) so those percentages under my marking would be pretty good :D

Has your son attempted the writing parts of these papers too?

Remember also that he will be tested on VR but not NVR.

The KES Maths, I understand, has components to identify boys who are able to pass for a place, as well as much higher-level problem solving questions intended to identify Scholarship/AP candidates.
NASA

Re: Kes exam

Post by NASA »

Hi um

Thanks for your response :)

Up until now I've not awarded him any marks for working out, in response I just say if you can get that try going all the way. He occasionally makes some very silly mistakes..... I guess we all have off days, hope its not on the day of the exam!

He has tried the English sections comprehension seems to have taken a change for the better ( something happened after the kegs exam)
The writing section, his always full of ideas although sometimes he seems to miss out words - plenty of rereading what his written and not what he thinks his written has kind of overcome that! Still occasionally does it though.

VR - again it's like a light bulb switched on after kegs exams, he now gets through really quickly! Much to my delight.

So proud I know it's going to be difficult and the competition is tough we going to go in with an opened mind, if he does well than will thank god if not will still thank him for giving us an opportunity :)

Fingers crossed
NASA
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now