mock Exams in Trafford

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
cleo

mock Exams in Trafford

Post by cleo »

Hello
A friend's daughter will be sitting the AGSG in September 2013 and is going to start home tutoring her. However, she is wondering if anywhere does a mock exam practice near the time. Doing a mock beforehand would help her prepare for the really thing especially as AGSG is the first exam and would lessen the shock for her.

It has been a few years since my son sat his 11 plus and I wasn't aware of mock exams that took place then. I would appreciate anyone sharing information or guiding me to someone who could help me.

Thanks a lot Cleo.
aharris

Re: mock Exams in Trafford

Post by aharris »

cleo wrote:Hello
A friend's daughter will be sitting the AGSG in September 2013 and is going to start home tutoring her. However, she is wondering if anywhere does a mock exam practice near the time. Doing a mock beforehand would help her prepare for the really thing especially as AGSG is the first exam and would lessen the shock for her.

It has been a few years since my son sat his 11 plus and I wasn't aware of mock exams that took place then. I would appreciate anyone sharing information or guiding me to someone who could help me.

Thanks a lot Cleo.
It is too early for mock exam but good idea planning too early.

I can provide some info but it needs to be PM-as per forum rules.

Again I found this forum very helpful so it is good idea for your friend to join the forum and get more from this.
cleo

Post by cleo »

Thanks aharris that will be very helpful. I am going to help tutor her as I tutored my son and had a positive result. She would not be sitting the exam till late spring/ summer. However it would be good to know where we could apply for her sit the mock.

Cleo
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Hello, my Ds would be sitting for 2013 exams. Where would I find mock 11plus exam centre. I am quite new to this forum and the whole 11plus thing. I wonder if anyone could help. Thanks
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

Here's one;

I better pm you the details as not sure if the centre can be 'named' on here!

Edited to remove link.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Thanks, pumpkin pie.

The new year is as good a time as any to remind posters that recommendations for exam centres or tutors should be made by PM. There is a facility on this website for centres and tutors to advertise their services for a modest fee (see tab above headed "Services").

Oshosh - It is important to treat 'anonymous recommendations' with caution. However, there are a number of long standing members whose posts you may have read and whose judgements you may have come to respect. If you receive a recommendation from one of them, it might be worth considering seriously (while still exercising a degree of caution).

If you receive a recommendation from anyone else, please exercise extreme caution!

Pumpkin pie - this isn't aimed at you at all. We have had various tutors in the past (not necessarily on the Trafford forum) who have recommended themselves via PM whilst not coming clean about being the tutor concerned. It can be a tricky area!

Happy New Year to you all :)
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

Happy New Year!!

Hmmmm well I can tell you if I had my time again I would 100% NOT put my DD in for a GS 'Mock Exam'. DD did hers somewhere highly recommended, official and somewhere I trusted. However I have become quite cynical about this 11+ thing and the effects that mock result did to DD's emotions/confidence/enthusiasm were great. In fact we all nearly gave up. She was fully expected to pass GS exams according to school, and indeed she did, 3 of them. However her mock result, which came with no feedback whatsoever, may as well have been from a completely different child and threw us like you wouldn't believe. I even lost confidence in her at the time which upsets me very much to think about that.

Am not trying to put your friend off, just sharing my experience and how it effected us, but in hindsight (a wonderful thing) I would have a little mock at home, perhaps invited some of her school friends round, and paid them a fiver to sit with her, whilst trying to distract her :wink:

Regarding any taking mocks, in any LA area, I would just say go into a mock (which I appreciate can be good practice for getting the 'feel' of what a GS exam may be like) with eyes wide open, ask questions about exactly what feedback shall be given and your wallet firmly closed until you have done your research. I really do feel like asking for a refund in our case, especially due to the lack of feedback.

Good luck
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I remember us discussing the pros and cons of mocks last year. I have similar feelings to you about their value but when all others are extolling their virtues it is hard to withstand that feeling in your head that tells you your child might miss out on something valuable if you don't do one.

I think they can be good in terms of showing the children how intensive the exam day is, finding out whether they can cope with the exam timing and having lots of kids around them (with attendant distractions) who they don't know.

I think they are not as useful in terms of getting good feedback about your child's academic performance. They are more likely to panic you than reassure you.
countrymum

Post by countrymum »

A agree TM about missing out, when I see and witness the sheer the 'desperation' sometimes from parents ( including possibly me at the time) to get their DC's into a top GS, I guess you really do want to explore all avenues and not miss out on a thing. As I say hindsight is a wonderful thing, and I myself can look back and see I possibly was one of those that didn't want to 'miss out'. Its hard to watch all around you doing all they can to get DC into a GS and not want to join in and do all you can too, which included us putting DD in for a mock.

What I have learnt in this process ( and is not a reflection on DD not passing one of her GS exam's, I would feel the same if she had of done) is that money talks and now feel a little naive parting with our hard earned money, because I was 'desperate'. I know may not seem a lot to many, but to us was money we just couldn't afford to throw away. I really do think this tutor proofing exams is quite interesting, but I doubt things shall ever change.

Please remove link if not allowed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/se ... proof.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Although I would love DD to have the experience of a GS, it has to be said this journey has been quite a learning curve, I have learnt a lot about myself, DD, and has had many ups and downs. Of course the 11+ journey keeps the ball rolling and Tutors/Summer schools/Mock Centres/11+ Publishers benefit financially very well indeed.

I just feel for the very naturally bright DC's at school who would do well at GS, but parents can't afford mocks, tutors, even maybe past papers, that possibly may miss out on a GS education. I really am supportive of the proposal of head teacher/form teacher assessments from primary, rather than it just all being about a specific 'test'.
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Well, the "tutor-proof" exam is very topical, since our friends in Bucks have just found out that that is what will be replacing their VR-only exam for this coming exam year. I suspect, rather than make parents sit back and think, "Ah well, this is tutor proof. No need to do anything with little Jimmy, then", there will be even more of a scramble to ensure that all the new types of questions are covered along with anything else that might be relevant.

Re teacher assessment - it is a valid suggestion. Having been in the game for some years, though, I can honestly think of more kids who fall into the "Misunderstood by Teachers - slightly quirky - passed the entrance exam but wouldn't have been recommended by their teachers" category than the "Bright enough but didn't have the back-up at home and just missed out" bunch. I think it is easy in a class of 30+ to promote the amenable bright kids' interests over the misfits'.

There's no perfect system, sadly. I wish I could come up with one.