VR Standard Format

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Driscol

VR Standard Format

Post by Driscol »

My Child is going to sit the Warwickshire 11+ which consists taking two 80 question standard format NFER tests. I have been advised that all the actual question types will be covered by the 4 NFER practise papers available in the shops (contain 15 different types I think).

What additional practise papers are going to be the most suitable for further revision?

I was considering purchasing "The Tutors"E-Papers as they mimic NFER format but am concerned that they are Multiple Choice and not Standard format. There are too many different ones to choose from this site. Don't really want to waste precious study time on the wrong types.
Driscol

VR Standard format

Post by Driscol »

I'll answer my own question.

It seems advise on Warwickshire entrance exams isn't a popular item.
Everything sems to be Bucks this Bucks that.

My child has tried "The Tutors" demo versions of practise CD's and really does not like them at all as he finds the questions more difficult to complete on the screen than on actual paper.

I have to agree with him as paper exams let you jot things down to help solve the questions.

I definately now think "The Tutors" material is NOT suitable for the standard version exams even though some people on this forum think it to be OK.

It is 100% better to stick with the same format of the actual exam. Will post again after trying out some other material.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

The IPS tests papers are dual format, and compatible with NFER. They include the 21 types, but the types are shown next to the questions, so you can skip those that are not needed.

You can also practice the types individually, with something like their Additional Practice book.

It may not be ideal, for that's at least one answer for you.

Catherine
Nou

Post by Nou »

We had the opposite experience. Although my daughter disliked the CDs -she literally had to answer the question and not glance at the next one as on the paper version. She improved dramatically on certain types of question and I would definitely recommend the CDS. You can still use a paper and pen to work things out at the computer and I encouraged her to do so. Although not applicable to the standard version, I would be very wary of a technique that involves using the actual exam paper itself; I taught my daughter to do this assuming it wouldn't be a problem, in the actual exam she WASN'T allowed to mark the question paper, which threw her, although she did get through.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Driscol

Susan Daughtrey Bright sparks offer standard form practice papers, however take a look at the Lincs section they too use NFER standard form.

I do come from Bucks but do 'try' to help other areas. Shame more people do not come forward for your area.

If you read your section there was a tutor asking for advice [because of the change in tests] Why don't you register [ its totally confidential] the send the tutor a Personal Message they may be able to help you.

Just found her name for you...jacquie

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Re: VR Standard format

Post by Sally-Anne »

Driscol wrote: It seems advise on Warwickshire entrance exams isn't a popular item.
Everything sems to be Bucks this Bucks that.
I sympathise with you Driscol. Partly it comes down to numbers, as Warwickshire has around 300 places at Grammar Schools each year, whilst Bucks has over 2000 and the vasst majority of children in the County sit the 11+.

It also helps that there are 2 or 3 people on Bucks who are regular users or experts (such as Patricia), and thus it achieved critical mass much more quickly than most of the other regional sections. Once an area acquires it's own "expert" the volume of posts and information rises very quickly.

Sally-Anne
Driscol

Post by Driscol »

Catherine - Thanks, will try the IPS material

Nou - Thanks, I too think it's important to stick with correct format as it is one less thing to cause confusion about.

Patricia - Thanks, my child has already completed the Susan Daughtey books 1-4 and practise papers 1-8. Will take a look at the Bright Sparks.

Sally Anne - Thanks for the sympathy. There are only about 220 places with 1100 children taking the entrance exam. I feel sorry for all the kids/parents who won't make it. Thats about a 80% failure rate. With these sort of statistics prepation alone will not be enough to get through, you will also have to be lucky with the questions on the exams.
Driscol

Post by Driscol »

If there are only 220 places and 1100 entrants can anyone provide some sort of an estimate of what RAW score out of 80 possible marks might be required to secure a place ?

This is for NFER verbal reasoning papers.
Driscol

Post by Driscol »

I think maybe what I am trying to estimate is generally on average what sort of scores/percentages do the top 20% of 11+ VR exam entrants obtain ?
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

It is really difficult to say. There are other factors to take into consideration such as whether the exam is only VR or comprises other subjects, the amount of coaching that goes on in the area etc..
For example, the pass mark is at least 85% in Bucks (only VR, 30% grammar places), and 80%+ in Slough (VR+NVR+maths, 25% grammar places).
I can't really say why this is.

The Warwickshire forum is a bit quiet, but you could ask the same question there. You will have more chance to receive an answer from someone who knows your area.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now