Year 4 KS2 SATs papers - which practice papers do they take?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Villagedad

Year 4 KS2 SATs papers - which practice papers do they take?

Post by Villagedad »

Hi there

A quick question with regards to year 4 optional SATs papers, i.e. the papers they practice and take at the end of year 4.

I wondered if they generally use the same KS2 SATs papers for levels 3-5 as the year 5 and 6 classes use, or are they different?

Many thanks all
moved

Re: Year 4 KS2 SATs papers - which practice papers do they t

Post by moved »

They are different. The papers were written to test the content that would have been covered by the end of yr 4.
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

moved wrote:They are different. The papers were written to test the content that would have been covered by the end of yr 4.
Many thanks moved for your quick response.

Do you know if you can access past papers for year 4 or does each school write their own bespoke papers?
moved

Post by moved »

Schools buy papers from the DfE. Wigan produced these years ago, but they are still useful

http://www.wiganschoolsonline.net/curri ... ssess.shtm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

Villagedad wrote:
Do you know if you can access past papers for year 4 or does each school write their own bespoke papers?
Most schools use the same papers every year. Please do not bother doing any practice. The school shouldn't either. These tests are used in amongst other assessments to inform the teacher and school of how a pupil / class / group are progressing. Results should be analysed and help to inform future planning.

A few years ago a pupil in my class did unexpectedly well in these assessments (results didn't match any other assessments at all) and I knew one parent also taught the same year group at another school and so I asked the pupil if they had practised and unsurprisingly they had! Total waste of time. No idea why the parent did it - can only think they wanted the child to be top (as they were always asking where they were in the class), child still wasn't top. Parent not teaching any more either. All very odd.

Anyway don't do any revision - waste of time. Do something more interesting instead.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

they are the same every year, just let him be a child!
mystery

Post by mystery »

Can you explain a bit more please? I don't want to see the test papers but I want to know, for maths, what levels can be gained from optional test papers at the end of year 4? If as you say the papers were written to test "year 4 material" (whatever that is) presumably they only test to a particular level? Please can you explain a bit more how it all works. It is all mystery to me at the moment, yet it must be very simple.
Thanks.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Two papers: paper A (level 2 to 3) then if they get level 3 then do paper B (level 3 to 4).
moved

Post by moved »

The only advantage that I have seen to the new draft curriculum is the demise of levels and level chasing!