Out of date driving licence

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Blitz

Out of date driving licence

Post by Blitz »

Did not know, until I read an article today, that photo card driving licences are only valid for 10 years. They reckon two million of us are driving on an out of date licence with a fine of up to £1000 if caught. The government has collected £41 million in driving licence fines since 2010!!!

Rushed to purse to check, and glad I did, mine is valid until July. I've added it to my 'must do list.' Do check yours.

Now need to find out what I need to do to renew it...

Just found out... Very straight forward:

https://www.gov.uk/change-photo-driving-licence" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hermanmunster

Re: Out of date driving licence

Post by hermanmunster »

yep - mine needs doing this year too - nice little earner for the government, really don't think my picture will have changed much!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I got a reminder when my was due. Don't rely on it though.
Jiff

Post by Jiff »

I'm so old I've got a paper one!
doodles

Post by doodles »

I too had a paper one until some ******** nicked my handbag and I had to replace it with a new fangled one! It's actually quite handy as a photo ID though so it has proved itself useful.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

I still have an old paper one. OH has the photo one.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Mine is still a paper one also, but it's on my to do list after 27th January. (that's when my point are due to come off and I'm too tight to pay)
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

OK, who else has/had points on their licence? I've never had any, OH got 3 points once, years ago, for driving 3 miles too fast.

Come on, own up :lol: :lol:
ginx

Post by ginx »

No points, but did two speed awareness courses just over three years apart.

Quite enjoyed the first one. I'd just had my fourth ds, and it was like a day off. Lots of nice coffee, biscuits, the other criminals there were mostly mums like me ... I quite enjoyed it. No children allowed, obviously. We did have to watch some gory films and it did prove I don't know speed limits.

Second time round was just boring. I was doing 36 and 37 in a 30 limit. Caught by the same camera. That's the embarrassing part. :(

I told my insurance company, they said they weren't interested because nearly everyone's been caught. :) So no extra premium.

And I, having been banned for a year, am delighted to have my licence back (no cost!) :D
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Got points many years ago when I won a prize at work which was free day off and use of the company car of my choice - I chose the MD's 7 series BMW and went to Scotland (from Oxford) for a couple of days. It had a lot more acceleration than my Beetle :shock:

Then later got done on the last day of a project in Dorset. They chose that day to finally open the Tolpuddle bypass - that I had lived through the construction of - and I got a bit carried away :)

15 years apart so I don't feel too much of a criminal - I never speed in town.

DH got done twice in an hour by the same mobile chap just the other side of the Severn bridge - we stopped for coffee and the guy had moved site during that time so he got caught again. It always confused the insurance websites as it was the same offence on the same day and it kept being deduplicated.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now