Westminster Under School pre-interview testing in Feb 2013

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mama-de-dos

Westminster Under School pre-interview testing in Feb 2013

Post by mama-de-dos »

Hello, wondering whether anyone's DS is scheduled to take the pre-test on Feb 4, and whether you were contacted by the school to provide contact info for the headmaster letter? I only just received the information about the testing date, and that only because I placed a phone call...

Time is running out, and it is hard for me to believe that the school selects their 45 interviewees solely on the basis of the test score.

Thoughts?
hermanmunster

Re: Westminster Under School pre-interview testing in Feb 20

Post by hermanmunster »

Possibly Westminster know the headmasters of the prep schools involved for many of the kids on a first name basis already...
mama-de-dos

Post by mama-de-dos »

Hermanmunster, oddly, there was no request even for the name of the current school on the original application. They don't know anything about my DS's current school situation. Hmmm.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

maybe they will ask after the test? did they ask at registration?

They definitely want a school report :
We attach great importance to the
report we receive from a candidate’s
present school.Apart from information
about the boy’s character, interests and
potential, we also ask for information
that will help us, where appropriate,
to compare him with other candidates
from that school
Edit: they ask for the current school on the 13+ application form (for completion in year 6).. is this the one you completed? http://www.westminster.org.uk/assets/13 ... n-Form.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mama-de-dos

Post by mama-de-dos »

We applied to the Great School (13+) and are totally set with regard to that application and forthcoming testing/interviews/reports.

It is the Under School (11+) application I'm questioning. It seems too short a time to request school reports: testing Feb 4, interviews begin Feb 11. What do you think? One week (minus) enough time to request, receive and analyze the reports?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

It is odd, the underschool say they want the registration 2 years before the date of starting at the school (so beginning of year 5)- possibly then they start contacting people to get reports..

- or on the other hand maybe they don't actually contact heads of schools until after the exam and interview? :?

- or maybe they rely on the fact that most heads will know that year 6 kids will be applying to other schools and will have reports ready to send out if asked - my kids headteachers did these in the 1st term of year six.

I really don't know what to suggest - maybe the best thing is to wait and see - am sure they will start chasing reports at some point.
mama-de-dos

Post by mama-de-dos »

Ha ha! Thanks, hermanmunster, I'm sure you're right about them chasing what they want!

Best to you!
Plus11

Post by Plus11 »

My DS also sitting that. Must say that they certainly have sent the least info, regarding the upcoming exam etc. Have a single sheet of paper in their "file". Would be surprised though if I didn't fill in his present school and contacts on the original application form. Also would expect the report/references to have exchanged hands by now.... but then again, that's just me thinking aloud.. :?:
mama-de-dos

Post by mama-de-dos »

Hi, Plus11,
Agreed. Surprising to me. After the fact, it is obvious that the exam results are highly regarded by admissions. The admissions contact told me that if needed, she would seek out the references.
vnmomma

Post by vnmomma »

I'm not familiar with the 11+ process but having recently gone through the WUS 7+ and 8+ plus processes with my 2 DS (they both got in), the school requests the school reports even before the exam regardless of exam results. The reason is the short timing between exam and interview dates. It would be impossible organizationally to receive all school reports in time for the interview and issuance of offer letter. No school is that organized.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now