Clicker and other software to help less able students

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ourmaminhavana

Clicker and other software to help less able students

Post by ourmaminhavana »

I'm aiming to download the free Clicker trial later today and I'd love to hear from anyone who has used this type of software as to how beneficial it was. I can see that hearing one's writing read out loud would potentially be very beneficial to a less able student so that can easily identify their mistakes. I don't even know if my new school would consider it, but I'm looking into the different options and would like to know which are the main features that others use with this software eg predictive text, individual word banks, read back etc I'd also like to know how time consuming it is to set up and get to grips with. Thanks, as always.
yoyo123

Re: Clicker and other software to help less able students

Post by yoyo123 »

I use the clicker sets as wordbanks for topic writing and also for maths ( shape sorting etc) loads available ready done or you can do your own -they cover all subjects. Have a look on your LEAs grid for learning too. The Kent one has a list of useful software.

I also have used some of the adult literacy stuff online ( via a quick google) as it has the appropriate level of learning objective, but isn't fluffy bunny rabbits and teddy bears picnics!

You can get some excellent low ability high interest reading books too. Have you had a word with the Senco, s/he would be able to give you an idea of what resources the school has..it's amazing what you find with an hour's rootling around in cupboards!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks very much, Yoyo! :D The adult literacy resources sound a good way to go. LEA learning grids sound very useful too, but I wonder if I can access them if the school has just become an academy or if they're a general resource? So much to look into!
I've rooted through the stock rooms, but with limited success for my pupils. However I haven't actually met the Senco yet, but it's on my to do list for next week.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

pm me if you want..not guaranteed that I can help as I am in primary, but I seem to have gravitated to the slow readers ( which doesn't always mean they are lower ability in all subjects)
mystery

Post by mystery »

No indeed. The research shows that reading difficulties are, in general, not IQ related.