Silly question - pen or pencil

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bigheadtodd

Silly question - pen or pencil

Post by bigheadtodd »

Rather a silly question.

Does it matter if DD does her comprehension/story-writing in pen or pencil i.e. would it count against her if she wrote with a pencil?

She prefers a pencil and is concerned that with a pen, her fingers may get smudged and inky and as a result the answer paper could be dirtied.
BusyQueenBee

Re: Silly question - pen or pencil

Post by BusyQueenBee »

Hi bighead,
I think it depends on the school. If they don't show a preference, she probably can choose. DS was told by one school last week to use pen as it was easier for them to read. Another school said in the letter he was allowed to use pencil for everything...
Plus11

Post by Plus11 »

The exam letters I have gotten have always specified what they expect. Have a look through, and if not - it's not that silly of a question so call the school and ask! The erasable friction pens are great, I find. And although my DS is a leftie, never smudge.
Good luck!
simon

Post by simon »

on the back of the erasable friction pens, it says not to use them in exams as they fade. School entrance exams are marked so quickly that it probably doesn't matter, but still...
BusyQueenBee

Post by BusyQueenBee »

oh no...DS used the friction erasable..can I appeal saying his genius essay just disappeared? :twisted:
bigheadtodd

Post by bigheadtodd »

Thanks all :-)

This is for Habs girls and Consortium Group 1 this week. I'll read the letters carefully to see if I've missed any instructions. or will call the schools up.

Cheers
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Consortium 1 says pen or pencil and a rubber - and my dd and her friends definitely had pencils only in the group 2 exam last week. Can't help on Habs front tho'. Good luck. :)