appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
librarian

appeal

Post by librarian »

Hi can anyone give me some hints about appeal for grammar school.
Score 205 RHHS
stroudydad

Re: appeal

Post by stroudydad »

Hav you looked at the appeal section?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

link to info is here: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

Does anyone know roughly how many appeals are made and what percentage are normally successful?
Does it fluctuate or generally the same each year?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

Hi,

Over the last few years it has varied a lot, from allowing (say) 30 to 8. It depends on the prejudice that would be caused to the children who did get in. for a few years, the pass mark was such that the school was not oversubscribed, so if the appeal panel could be sure that the children appealing were suitable and should have passed the test, they had a good chance of winning. Last year the school was full, so there were few appeals that could be allowed without causing prejudice to those who did pass.

5 or 6 years ago, Ribston was heavily oversubscribed and HSSG was under.

For various reasons, I can't give advice as to what will make a successful appeal... however, you will get lots of advice over in the appeals forum, as well as from others here.
Capers
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

There were about 60 appeals for RHHS and about 50 for Crypt last year. Not sure how many got places.
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

That's probably more than I would have guessed at.
I feel it will be higher this year and guess all schools are oversubscribed.
capers123

Post by capers123 »

StJamesDad wrote:That's probably more than I would have guessed at.
I feel it will be higher this year and guess all schools are oversubscribed.
Oversubscription tends to be the normal state for grammars, assuming they've set their pass mark correctly. They need to have more children passing than there are places available so that they can offer a place from the waiting list on re-shuffling (they can't top up with near-misses).

I suspect that if a school is undersubscribed, as Ribston was for a few years due to a high pass mark, then the number of appeals rises in the hopes that the appeals panel will allow more appeals. Ribston must of altered its passmark last year as they were not under subscribed, yet there were just as many appeals as the previous year; I suspect that the playground gossip was 'why not try an appeal - lots got in last year'. It's not peculiar to Ribston - for a few years HSFG Denmark Rd was under subscribed whilst Ribston was over subscribed; at that time, there were more appeals for HSFG than Ribston.

For some schools that I've heard appeals for the number of appeals has decreased over the last few years.

If there's a suspicion that there's more children from private schools who will be appealing due to cashed-strapped parents, I have not noticed an increase over the last few years.
Capers
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now