Poole Grammar Test Results 2012

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mum to Boys

Poole Grammar Test Results 2012

Post by Mum to Boys »

Just wondered if anyone knows the chances of our son getting into Poole Grammar.

First place preference on form.

Maths 119/140
English 115/140
VR 110/140
NVR 117/140

Average 115.25

Had to get 110 to be eligible for a place. We live 15 miles from the school, so not in catchment!! They offer to catchment boys first and then allocate to out of area next.

Any advice, views etc... would be very much appreciated!!

Thank you!
awishes

Re: Poole Grammar Test Results 2012

Post by awishes »

Hi

Are you sure that they offer to catchment first this year?

We are trying for Parkstone and have been told by the Borough of Poole that the score will determine who gets in as they are always oversubscribed with "in catchment" girls who have passed and therefore they look at the scores and allocate places by them.

So if our daughter has only just scraped through the test I assume she will not be allocated a place even though we are "in catchment":(

Good luck - I prefer it when we just got a "yes" or "no" - the score has complicated the process for me! :(
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

The boys school looks like in catchment are offered first (after LAC) and then OOC in rank order http://www.poolegrammar.com/wp-content/ ... y-2013.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If however all 168 places are taken up by catchment then it will be in rank order within the catchment area.

Not sure how often they go outside catchment and how far - that is really the important bit of info.

However I am puzzled by your statement that they use score for the in catchment girsl as while it appears to be rank order outside the catchment it is distance within the catchment

http://www.parkstone.poole.sch.uk/entrance.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

can see the islands need a special clause!
awishes

Post by awishes »

With regard to the girls OOC - we thought the same and have done since our son tried (and was successful) at Poole.

However recently have heard lots of rumours regarding ranking by score so thought we should clarify to prepare our daughter.

Have been recently told by the Borough and PGS Admissions that the school is always over subscribed by in catchment so they allocate by score, therefore to be in catchment and just reach the required score is never enough to secure a place. We also thought that the a,b,c criteria is taken in that order but apparently not.

If it is of any help to you my son is at school with boys from Wool (14.5 miles from Poole GS).

Best wishes
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

According to the website they are definitely not allocating by score in catchment!
Where the number of students who have met the required standard exceed the Published Admission Number, the following criteria will be applied in the order set out below, to decide which students should be offered a place:

Eligible girls who are classed as ”Children in Care”
Eligible girls who live within the Borough of Poole
Eligible girls live outside the Borough of Poole, in rank order of the entrance test scores, with those girls obtaining the highest scores given higher priority
In the event of over-subscription in any of the criteria (a) to (c), then priority will be given to the girl whose permanent address is nearest to Parkstone Grammar School.

Might be worth asking them about this
awishes

Post by awishes »

Thank you - that's exactly how we have read it hermanmunster, thought we were missing something!

I think I will try and put it out of my mind now 'til we get the letter.

Regards
woodstock72

Post by woodstock72 »

Hi

If you check past admission data, both Poole and Parkstone have never reached the PAN within catchment. My DS passed the Poole test last year and the receptionist at the school confirmed they have always gone outside catchement. My friend's DD also passed the Parkstone test and was told the same.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now