Long multiplication/division

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

moved

Long multiplication/division

Post by moved »

Elizabeth Truss released today that long division and multiplication are to be awarded 'working' marks in the future 2016 papers. Press releases in both the Sun and Telegraph.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/ed ... maths.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SleepyHead

Re: Long multiplication/division

Post by SleepyHead »

I am amazed - DD's school definitely in favour of chunking and gridding. I don't think they even look at long multiplication or division. Completely different to 'my day' :lol: all we had was long multiplication and long division.

I wonder if this would be true too for 11+ exams, would examiners prefer to see this 'old' method and will they show more leniency when marking?
mystery

Post by mystery »

This article is confusing. Don't they get marks now for showing workings even if there is a slip on the way and the answer is wrong?
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

I think they get method marks regardless of which method they use, but wonder if the article means that they will get more method marks if they use the long multiplicaton/division way?
moved

Post by moved »

Yes, they do, but it can be any method. The child can choose what they do and as long as they have shown a reasonable method they will be given the 1 mark. In 2016 the only mark they will be awarded for a minor error is for using the long mult/division method.

If they use a grid and make a minor error they will score 0 rather than 1!
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DDs school start them on chunking then move on to long division anyway.
DD had one of her infrequent but legendary rants over chunking homework, she hates it with a passion.

Have any of you seen the Japanese method for long multiplication that seems to be going though the social networking sites? I quite like it.
moved

Post by moved »

I call that method Chinese sticks. It won't be allowed either, nor will Napier's bones.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

we never got on with chunking - DD would work out all the chunks correctly and then do something careless in the adding up :(
SleepyHead

Post by SleepyHead »

Don't really like chunking but DDs school is starting that method soon. She really doesn't like that method either - it seems to take forever and is very long winded? (perhaps we're doing it wrong :oops: ) School will also do the Chinese method of multiplication - much prefer the long multiplication way.

Very surprised to hear that a child using chunking or gridding will not be awarded any method marks? Our teachers have not mentioned anything like this at all - may be they will later on. But knowing this I'll certainly persevere with the long multiplication/division method at home. (Thanks for that information :) )
moved

Post by moved »

The teachers won't have known prior to today. This will not come into being until the new curriculum is first tested in 2016.

The next major change will be the removal of the calculator from the 2014 test and then the new curriculum will begin to be taught to all years, except year 6 in September 2014. Year 6 will still be tested on the old curriculum, but without the calculator.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now