Interview for both DS and parents - attendance question

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Bestichka

Interview for both DS and parents - attendance question

Post by Bestichka »

DS got an interview at an indie he set his heart on (and, to be honest, so did we). Now they first interview boys and then 15 minlater bring in parents as well. Panic! Ay adviceon do's and don'ts for parents? I got an idea as to what to wear (thanks, Dear Forum!), but it would be great to understand what they look at when interviewing parents? Probing commitment to the school and it's values? Ethos match? Intelligence level (not sure i have any left after all this ordeal, but i can do hard codes really well;))? Help,please!!

Also, should both parents attend? DH doesn't seem to be particularly keen to attend (although he loves this school), and also isn't that articulate (although he can create a certain presence :)). Or willit look really bad if just one parent attends?

Any advice will be hugely appreciated - we've got 10 days to go.
tiffinboys

Re: Interview for both DS and parents - attendance question

Post by tiffinboys »

Perhaps the parents' interview is to assess social cohession like when one applies to join social/sports club. Also they might want to assess how much time you could devote to your DC studies and extra-curricular activities. Also your keenness for the School etc.
simon

Post by simon »

I think you should both go. With one of my other kids, I flew back from a meeting in Tokyo and then went back to Tokyo two days later.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Apparently they often ask what you do for a living (is that assessing if you are good for the money, whether you might be able to come in and demo or discuss things with the children, or a general level of intelligence??) and try to find out how keen you are on the school - are you likely to accept a place if its offered, and a little about dc of course! From what I hear mums often go without dads. :)
Sue123

Post by Sue123 »

I also think that you should both go. I think that the schools are looking for committed, supportive parents and they might well wonder why only one parent is there if your husband doesn't go.
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

Yup one of our schools do this - definitely planning for both of us to go and think this is important.

From a friend who's just done it she felt they were looking mainly for whether they were your first choice school - as well of course as supportive of their approach and the child! Tough for her as it wasn't but she managed to fudge.

I guess Im planning to reread their website and drop key things into the conversation and, oh shame on me, casually promote my child and her achievements through our questions to the school and probably drop in the fact that we're both Oxbridge, again in the light of our experience of school (DH being deeply pressurised, mine very unacademic and consequently looking for something different in DC school!)..... I think they'll be well used to this!!! So feel a little embarassed to even admit it but dont believe it can do any harm.....

And what are your tips on what to wear?????? I hadnt really thought about this....
Plus11

Post by Plus11 »

I had an interview recently scheduled and as I mentioned on the phone to the secretary that my DH is out of the country they v. quickly provided me with extra couple of dates, suggesting that they wanted to see us both... Was more nervous of my DH attending than my DS, as he has a quirky sense of humour and can really ask some baffling questions :lol: "what is the boys to girls ratio in an all boys school"-style:) after extensive coaching though, he performed well on the day..
I think that during the interview they assess the family dynamic and perhaps how committed/supportive you are. Also, it is their opportunity to "sell" the school to you, explain what they offer and expect in return.
And I'd wear smart-casual. Wouldn't want to be seen trying too hard:P
Bestichka

Post by Bestichka »

Thank you so much all of you, the advice is invaluable! This confirmed my thoughts that we should both attend so now have to coach DH who is also prone to quirkiness in these situations!

Our interview is Monday morning and i'm off to work afterwards so i have to wear business smart. DH will definitely be smart casual as you can't make him wear a suit for love or money! But shoes must be immaculate, and no trainers whatsoever. I hear some mums go as far as wearing a string of pearls, but i think it's a bit ott - however, having said that, we'll all do whatever it takes to get our DCs in the right schools, even pearls ;)

Good luck to all DCs and DPs, there's light at the end of the tunnel!!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Any one remembers Iron Lady movie or was it a TV drama/documentary about Mrs. Thatcher and the advise being given to her before her selection as Parliamentary candidate.

If I remember correctly, pearls featured there too along with - earings and an attractive but simple brooche. Good luck with the interviews.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Yes good luck. I did one of these, DH did not come as he was at work and it did not occur to me that he should. I wore boots and a smart skirt and jumper, no pearls :wink: . MY impression was that they wanted to ascertain how likely we were to accept, whether we were completely mad and whether we would pay the bills. In essence I guess why we had applied and what we planned to to if an offer came through. All very straightforward and pleasant, despite the head being at first glance one of the most intimidating people I have met. DD got an offer the next day so don't stress about it too much. If they want your child and they think you can pay and won't be a nightmare for them to deal with it will be fine.
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now