30 New places at Judd Next year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2d12go

30 New places at Judd Next year

Post by 2d12go »

Just read on the Judd website that there are to be 30 new places at Judd for year 7 entry this year (2013) making a total number of 155 Year 7's. That should make a difference - wonder if more places will be found for girls.
tonbridgemum

Re: 30 New places at Judd Next year

Post by tonbridgemum »

Great news for lots of people on here! :) Really glad they have done it this year.
neurotic kent mum

Post by neurotic kent mum »

Brilliant news.
bompey

Post by bompey »

Not sure where they'll put them though. 25% increase in numbers is significant if they do this every year. Could it be just until the 7oaks grammar is up and running?
bompey

Post by bompey »

Skinners is also taking an additional form so 60 extra places at the SS's this year.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Is this temporary, or are they trying to stop a grammar annex in Sevenoaks happening?
anotherworriedmum

Post by anotherworriedmum »

Sorry not sure about their motive Mystery, Skinners website says http://www.skinners-school.co.uk/?page= ... th=January" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The Governing Body of the Skinners’ School has received an urgent request from Kent County Council to increase the number of places offered for Year 7 entry in September 2013. The School, co-ordinating with others in the area, will respond to this request and will add an additional form. This will mean that the Pupil Admission Number for Skinners’ in 2013 will increase to 150, allowing five forms of 30 pupils. This arrangement is for the 2013 cohort only.
So looks like its a one off ? to cope with the very high number of high scores??
mystery

Post by mystery »

I wonder if this request went to all grammar schools or just the superselectives. If the latter I guess it is so that a good proportion of people still get their first choice school on 1 March as that is one of the things KCC has to aim for - it is one of the things they are judged on as an admissions authority. In reality, the higher number of scorers does not need to result in this - the cut-off could just change. However, if one is wanting to give as many people as possible their first choice ( a laudable aim as well as being one of the If things an admission authority is judged on) then if a higher proportion have scored more highly this year it would be necessary to ask the superselectives to take on more.

If the percentage by which they increase their numbers is higher than the percentage increase in the school population, then arguably they are becoming less superselective. If the superselectives did just get bigger and bigger and bigger, and the other grammars didn't, we'd get to the point where a new grammar wasn't needed, and the superselectives would effectively become what was wanted a few years back during that campaign to prevent Judd and Skinners admitting on score.

Just doing some very crazy speculation here rather than dusting.

Has TOGS received a similar request?
Villagedad

Post by Villagedad »

Has anyone heard that TWGSB are considering adding another class too?

Although they did this only last year it may be feasible if just a temporary measure with the annexe coming on stream in 2015..
jellybeans

Post by jellybeans »

Villagedad, I don't see how they could. The current years 7 and 10 are 7 form intakes so I very much doubt they would have any room to accommodate an extra class. I'm guessing this is why Skinners and Judd have agreed to the request by KCC. I could well be wrong though.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now