Mock test for Sutton Wallington and Wilsons

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ITBarbie

Mock test for Sutton Wallington and Wilsons

Post by ITBarbie »

Hi

My son is going to sit the test for Wallington in Sept and Wilsons in January with the hope of getting one or the other : D He is working at a grade 5 at the moment and is of course in year 5 and as far as I understand from his Teacher that is good? I thought he showed potential so I put him in for a mock test for Sutton. I was very disappointed (no I am not mean just honest) as he was aiming for 109 in each subject which is 327 in total however he scored 268 : shock:

I am so worried it may do him more harm than good if he is getting these scores now as he may well fail

Is anyone else in the same position? The mock test was multiple choice and from what I can see on Wilsons and Wallington web site there’s are not. Any insider info would be greatly appreciated! HA HA
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Mock test for Sutton Wallington and Wilsons

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

ITBarbie wrote:he was aiming for 109 in each subject which is 327 in total however he scored 268
Are those normalised scores?

How did he do relative to the others taking the tests?
Animis opibusque parati
guest1971

Post by guest1971 »

Hi,

My son is starting Wallington in September, you need to start doing practice papers in Verbal reasoning as they do not cover this at school. Also I have been told that a lot of the Maths is not covered until the end of year 6 so as he is doing 1st test in September I would suggest you get a Tutor for this. You will find that most boys sitting the test have been Tutored and regardless of what you think of it they are helpful as they will cover everything that he will do in year 6.

Good luck!

Trish
big h

Post by big h »

Have you sent off for the familiarisation paper available from Wallington Grammar yet? We have purchased one and found it quite helpful as to the format of the examination. As the actual exam is on the 15th September I doubt whether you will find a Tutor for the last four weeks. I would say just make sure he has covered everything up to Key Stage 2 for his Maths and has practised a few verbal reasoning papers. Good Luck!!!!
ITBarbie

Wallington grammar

Post by ITBarbie »

Hi

Sorry for the delay have been holiday!. In answer to your reply I am not sure if these are normalised scores or what really even other people who read it had difficulty understanding it. Most kids were doing about 335-355 so that was not looking good for my son but as you can have a look at the marked paper I cant see what he got wrong. It was total multiple test paper so if the sequencing was wrong that may explain it!

He has got a tutor and has had one since April and she works with him. He has been doing work with her and some bond test papers over the holidays but it is like dragging a dead weight as he moans all the time.

I have been straight and asked if he wants to do this and he keeps saying yes and he knows that I am not making him do it! AHHHHH!!

I have not go the supplementary paper I am afraid as I have already paid for the tuition each week as well as the mock test and I am not sure how much value it will add.

He did an English paper today and is getting about 60% Again worrying and I just cant understand how a child who works at grad 5 in Year 4 get 60%?

Whatever will be will be :-)

x
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Wallington grammar

ITBarbie wrote:Most kids were doing about 335-355
The top 10% are scoring >354

If the sample is representative then that level is the required one.

But maybe this sample is skewed by being the tutored/prepared cohort!

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
ITBarbie

Wallington and Wilsons

Post by ITBarbie »

Hi SunlampVexesEel

Oh dear I am not very hopeful then :-( as he scored 260 odd in the Sutton Mock paper. I can't understand how he can be working at a grade 5 at the end of Year 5 and still score that low.

I am 100% I am not showing my negative thoughts to him and he does want to do this it's not pushy parents syndrome.

He goes to one of the best Primary Schools available with excellent results and I had not even considered 11+ until I was informed he was doing very well and no a bit of me wishes I didn't care but I do.

Anyway we will keep going and see where it gets us. The test for Wallington is next Saturday and although his tutor says that she feels he may not pass this one he still stands a chance of passing the Wilsons one in January. I think there are issues regarding the early testing this year as there is still quite a bit re fractions etc that has not been covered in the Year 5 but due in the year 6 syllabus.
SunlampVexesEel

ITBarbie
He has been doing work with her and some bond test papers over the holidays
We are close to breaking point too... I think it must happen to most prospective parents and their offspring around this time... I think the technical term is STRESS!!!!!

From our journey so far I would recommend trying to focus on the sylabus that will be tested (don't rely on School taught skils) by looking at the Tutors material here... The CD material is excellent... we have Tutors VR1 which covers the VR types (hopefully)... for NVR there is Bond and for Maths... maybe the Tutors (or Bond... ?)

We are off to the PTA Mock on Saturday!

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
ITBarbie

Stess

Post by ITBarbie »

God I know how you feel I am very stressed. Good luck with the exam and post when you get back :D
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

This is why the rehab section exists! There are loads of us who have been where you are now and survived - this forum is great for moral support.