Finding out how your child did????

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loveyouradvice

Finding out how your child did????

Post by loveyouradvice »

I'm intrigued that so many people seem to know how well their DC has done in different papers in previous years - when did you ask the school and when did they reveal? Once they've offered place or ?????

I know they all say clearly that they dont share the results....
simon

Re: Finding out how your child did????

Post by simon »

My experience is that once offers are made the schools are in selling mode. With my eldest son, I called the school where he is now and said that I wanted to be sure that he could cope. I was invited to the school to go through his results. The person in charge of the exams took out a spreadsheet which had his and every other boys' results on and we went through them in detail. She told me how he did on the algebra, geometry, ratio questions etc and then did the same for English and VR. At the end of it, she told us where he came vis a vis all the others taking the exam and had persuaded us that he could cope and do very well there.

At another school, the teacher who interviewed him walked us to our car and said as we got there in a low voice so our son couldn't hear, "you know your son did very well in the exam and we would be very pleased if he came here".

I think the short answer is if you don't ask, you don't get. If they do not want to discuss the exam, they will just give a general answer like, "I don't have the details to hand".
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

simon that is fascinating - I'd love this level of feedback and feel it would give me a much better idea of how my DD would fit in a school

So inspired by your experience I will certainly be asking - provided of course we get offers that is!!! Bit nerve wracking at the mo....
simon

Post by simon »

Good luck to you and your daughter.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

How long after the event can you ask? My dd is in Year 7 at St Helens and I've always been curious to know her exam marks.
simon

Post by simon »

Straight after he was offerred a place. Once they are at the school, it is all a bit irrelevant.
Bestichka

Post by Bestichka »

Does anyone know if they post all rejection letters first, and then on 14th Feb send out all offers? Or offers and more declines? Am confused as a friend told me they got a decline from an indie their DD applied for in today's post :( but i thought all letters for indies are coming on 14th...

Sorry for a silly question, brain-dead now and tired of waiting...
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

No idea... think every school operates with its own rules.....presuming this is post interview?

Not surprised you are brain dead and tired of waiting..... I've gone beyond that and am now in the re-engage with the rest of my life mode which is a big relief after so much focus on 11+... though know Ill return there as we wait for the actual offers to appear (or not!) and quite shocked some only give you ONE week to decide, not two ie sending late Feb....