Pass Mark for 11 + ! " negative marking"

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rob d2

Pass Mark for 11 + ! " negative marking"

Post by rob d2 »

Hi folks,
well we have a tenous grip on this 11 + procedure, what i can't see (in english, not jargon) is what % we should be aiming at to pass this ........ without that sort of info we have no bench mark as to if she is doing well towards it/or not as the case would be...

Also from my school days I remember some exams were negatively marked - i.e if you ran out of time you couldn't guess fill the rest before finishing - are the gloucs 11+ like that or is it worth guessing the nulti choice if you run out of time ?

thanks again
Reading Mum

Re: Pass Mark for 11 + ! " negative marking"

Post by Reading Mum »

due to standardisation there isn't really a required percentage figure - plus different schools are more or less selective. If you name the schools or area you might be aiming for then people might be able to give you more anecdotal info such as my DD was getting 85% in such and such papers and passed XYZ exam.
There isn't any negative marking though so its always worth a guess if its a multi choice paper
Ellen-Jane

Post by Ellen-Jane »

Yeah, my DS was averaging 80 - 85 % on the 2 GL assessment packs in VR and got 223 on the day for STRS and nowhere near enough for Pates. My friend's DD was getting high 90s (occasionally 100%!) and passed for Pates, got 276 at HSFG. Hope that helps. :)

No negative marking as far as I know. Worth guessing the last few if out of time.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

no negative marking and it is always worth filling in the ones you can;t finish. You can;t get a mark if you don;t put anything
rob d2

Post by rob d2 »

Ah, thanks folks.
Pates is the favourite, so I guess we should be aiming for 95 % +. A tall order it may well be.....

I'll teach to guess any outstanding - I was always told just do 'C' !
Pumpkin Pie

Post by Pumpkin Pie »

I think if you can be aiming for the '90's' by September then your DC will be in a good position. Don't despair if your DC is no where near that mark just yet. My DD only really starting doing 11+ prep from Easter onwards last year in prep for last September. She started off getting marks in the 70's (even the odd 60), but by September she was hitting the 90's all the time. She worked hard in the summer holidays.........doing practice papers mainly. All DIY'D, not a tutor in sight! So, it can be done. She passed with a super score so the hard work paid off!

Good luck! :D
StJamesDad

Post by StJamesDad »

rob d2 wrote:Ah, thanks folks.
Pates is the favourite, so I guess we should be aiming for 95 % +. A tall order it may well be.....

I'll teach to guess any outstanding - I was always told just do 'C' !
Our DD was going to do 'c' as her 'guess answer' too, but she ended up having a stab at them all.
Its imperitive to have a game plan though imo.
Being able to finish paper timely and methodically, with enough time to 'mop up' and then tick any unanswered ones.
Prepare as much for the test day/situation itself, as knowing the answers to the questions ;-)

Would srongly recommend mock tests.
There is lots on here that will help you.
Good luck ;-)
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Above all try to remember they are still young children... They won't always act as you may expect. There will be highs and lows.. Your child will deal with these well, in my experience parents don't cope quite so well..
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now