Is there much difference in teaching styles? London schools

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loveyouradvice

Is there much difference in teaching styles? London schools

Post by loveyouradvice »

Hi...

Love to know your thoughts... I know we're all focussed on getting our kids into these schools - but is there much difference in teaching styles once they're in????

I've been a little thrown by y7 and 8 complaining that the teaching can be boring - and I confess DH and I were underwhelmed by what we saw of it at several of the top schools we're considering - Habs, Latymer, Highgate, City, etc....It didnt feel as if it had moved on as much as I'd expected since our day.

What are your thoughts? Have any of you experienced or seen great teaching in these years and where?
shootmenow

Re: Is there much difference in teaching styles? London sch

Post by shootmenow »

I've got nothing but praise for DD1's school. Really creative and fast paced. She loves her teachers even in subjects she isn't keen on. Where I've had complaints is with curriculum. I can't stand the thematic approach to history and they spend waaay too much time on each book in English. Wish they would read more books instead of sucking the joy out of a few. But this is what is demanded by the exams so I'm whistling in the wind.
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

I SO agree about spending ages on ONE book ... I used to do that and thought it ridiculous age 11.... and yes exams demand it but that is only at GCSE.... they've three years before that to enjoy a much wider range!

Where is your DD1 Shootme now????? Love the idea of creative and fast paced... though if it is a superacademic guess that explains it (and has other drawbacks for many!!!)
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

NLCS.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

I would trust the teachers and the school on the bread and butter stuff. The rest comes from within the pupil and from home, whether it be commitment to Physics, wider reading and more reading or debate at the kitchen table about any topic under the sun... A lot depends on the quality and drive of the class, and this comes from home. When we choose a school, we are really choosing our fellow parents.

By the way, the policemen are getting younger and younger and we all get a both cranky about the curriculum. Things ain't what they used to be!
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

The disadvantage is that if you don't like to argue and can't hold your own, well.....It's the sort of place where you'd better have an opinion.
simon

Post by simon »

I have my three kids in three different schools which are considered to be amongst the best in North London. Much of the teaching is excellent, but there are poor teachers at each school and there's nothing you can do. You'd be surprised at how much tutoring goes on at these schools. At one parents' evening, I was certain that a teacher had no idea who my son is. When I asked what they were doing for the rest of the term, he looked at me blankly and said, "we're doing lots of things".
KS10

Post by KS10 »

At one parents' evening, I was certain that a teacher had no idea who my son is.
This is quite common, especially if it's an early-in-the-year Year 7 Parents' Evening, the student is seen just once a week and the teacher is teaching almost an entire year group. This was common in subjects such as music and ICT at a previous school. It is annoying though.
When I asked what they were doing for the rest of the term, he looked at me blankly and said, "we're doing lots of things".
I'd love to know how you responded.
simon

Post by simon »

it was biology, after the end of year exams in year 7 (end of May or early June).

I think we were in shock so said nothing.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Try having an identical twin! My teachers didn't know who I was throughout my whole secondary school education!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now