INSET and part timers

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ourmaminhavana

INSET and part timers

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Sorry, another quick question here. I work 52% of the school week and it seems that almost all of the INSET is a twilight session on a Monday afternoon/early evening. I finish teaching at 12.25 on a Monday and would need to stay at work as it's a two hour round trip to go home. I would expect to have to attend some of these, but am I expected to attend them all? This has arisen as I've just, by chance, found out that there's one on Monday (when I have a governors' meeting elsewhere) and isn't on the school calendar that I've been given. I would also need to sort out childcare so my poor DD,7, would be in childcare/school from 7.45 until 6pm. :( I'm tempted on this particular occasion to plead ignorance. Is this naughty??
surreymummy

Re: INSET and part timers

Post by surreymummy »

Hi ourmam

I teach part-time too (0.4). Almost all our after school training takes place on a day I am in, so in theory could attend everything. I only have to do a pro-rata amount of this and INSET days. Why not get clarification from your Head? My union's stand on this is that this is how it should be. I would not be happy to be expected to do more.

Hope this helps.
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks surreymum, I just feel anxious asking, especially as I'm determined not to attend the first one as I already have a prior commitment! :oops: How would you put it to her?
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

Quite simply as it is... As much as I value Inset, I have a prior arrangement.

I have been part time, everything between 0.15 to 0.9, and there are always compromises.

Id go in with something like... you are a committed new member of staff with an establshed life outside of school. The Inset is all at a time that makes your attendance quite tricky. Can they indicate which sessions they would really like you (reasonably) to attend, and you can make the necessary arrangements for child care.

It's not naughty! You're not paid to be there at that time. Theyre getting their moneysworth. If you find a person in the building on 0.48 and add your efforts together I'm pretty certain you're doing more than a full time job!!
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Thanks Mindset, that's great. I just hate having to bring it up lest it make me sound uncommitted! :oops:
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

I quite understand. I've always done well over my hours, and hate to look like I'm shirking. But this is just an opportunity for you both to assess your Inset priorities, within the boundaries of what's reasonable. Keep your head up, big smile, and get the outcome that gives you what you need- both professionally and personally :D M x
ourmaminhavana

Post by ourmaminhavana »

Well, I was stressing too much so I decided to email the Head today, rather than wait until Monday. I know going in in person would have been preferable, but that would have meant stewing over the weekend and letting the Head know at the very last minute plus I thought this way gave the Head time to think of a response....
I explained that I couldn't attend Monday's as I had a prior engagement but could attend two other twilight sessions and a Year 7 Parents evening. I asked whether it would be preferable for me to attend a full INSET day during the holiday on a day that I don't work (but which would be much, much easier for me than the twilight sessions). Unfortunately I don't know the content of any of the training sessions so have no idea which would actually be useful!
Am I right that I can't be expected to attend a full INSET day on a day that I don't work?
It's OK to miss Monday, but there was no real response to which INSETS I should attend so I think I'll leave that for another week or two and then check again. How does that sound?
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

ourmaminhavana wrote: Am I right that I can't be expected to attend a full INSET day on a day that I don't work?
It's OK to miss Monday, but there was no real response to which INSETS I should attend so I think I'll leave that for another week or two and then check again. How does that sound?
Of course. For the first 7 years in my current post I was holding down 3 (very different) part time jobs. It was understood at school the while I valued training it had to be within the confines of my other responsibilities. I was promoted twice in this time. I also delivered a lot of Inset. My commitment was never intertwined with my availability; they paid me a fraction of the full time salary, I delivered a (slightly bigger) fraction of my time.

I'm now in a senior leadership role, but I'm still not quite full time. My PT status hasn't held up my promotion prospects, nor my commitment. It's a dance, a balancing act, and you will both need to be in time. But don't feel that they have full demands on you.

Is there an assistant head i/c staff development you can talk to? Rather than the Head? I fully appreciate the need to please, I will always have it, but there may be a person with a remit to work through this with you with a less pressing diary.

M
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now