Spanish, Drama, Music or Computing?

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
KS10

Spanish, Drama, Music or Computing?

Post by KS10 »

It's our turn now. As Daogroupie said in a previous thread, we thought it would be pretty straightforward too, but we are all a little unsure.

DS will be doing:

English x2
maths
science x3
history
French

He's not sure which two to pick from the following:
Spanish, drama, music and computing.

I think Spanish and drama would be his first choice.

From a selfish point of view, we were wondering how much group work would be involved after school wrt drama, although on the positive side there appears to be very little written work. His dad and I would love him to do music, but he gave up violin lessons after just missing out on a merit. (I think he found it difficult to deal with :lol:.) So as much as we would like him to opt for this, we need to find out why it's on his shortlist.

Any information / thoughts would be much appreciated.
magwich2

Re: Spanish, Drama, Music or Computing?

Post by magwich2 »

I would go for spanish anytime - its ridiculously easy and very formulaic. Could he do statistics as well as maths?
Again its very easy especially if he is good at maths and the coursework is a joke (a good one if you are looking to bag good grades).
instantsunshine

Post by instantsunshine »

Good luck to him. As I posted on a different thread - there was much more written content to drama than DD1 & her peer group had anticipated so it's not the "soft" option it may seem at first glance. In the end that suited DD1 but may not others. Rehearsals did take up a lot of time but her school scheduled them mainly during school hours.
Interestingly I agree with the advice re statistics to a point - my point being DD1 is not what you would describe as "good at maths". She did statistics as an extra/additional GCSE. Not being particularly mathamatically confident (she was put in for it by the school) she almost pulled out of the stats assessments (like most of the others in her set had) but in the end rightly or wrongly we persuaded her to sit them. She managed to get a B overall & now says she wishes she put a bit of work in and got the A or even A* which she realises would have been achievable. Isn't hindsight a wonderful thing?!!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thanks, magwich. Yes, I think Spanish is almost a definite, but it's the second choice that he's not sure about. Originally, Business Studies was on there too, but having read comments elsewhere we did tell him to go for something else. He is actually excellent at maths and I won't be surprised if this turns out to be his degree choice, but statistics does not appear on the school list.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

I think I may have missed your post, instantsunshine. DS is under the impression that there is just one review of a play to write. They are so easily swayed by the presentations, aren't they? DS is at any rate.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

My DS is doing drama and loves it. However I think you should get more info on the syllabus as he started in september and hasnt done any plays/rehearsing yet! its been all about critical writing and analysis which fortunately he is good at but i guess this is the foundation of the two year course.
He is going to london soon for a west end trip but this is the first one since he started so there hasnt been anything after school yet.
Within the lessons he has done script reading and hot seating aswell which im pleased about as its done good things for his confidence.
I certainly dont think its been a soft option. Ive been surprised at the homework (research/discussion etc) and its certainly running along side his English really well as in the English GCSE there is a drama unit and he said all the Drama students were the best as they had had the experience and new how to do it :)
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Thank you, tonbridgemum. I will show your post to DS. DS didn't bring home the options booklet yesterday because he missed registration, so maybe there will be more information in it.
moved

Post by moved »

Music isn't a given good grade, grade 8 musicians haven't got A*, even when all of their other GCSEs are A*.

Spanish isn't ridiculously easy at all; has he studied it to date or will it be new? DD started it in yr 10 and is enjoying it along with drama. Drama is 60% performance.

Spanish has all the usual amount of grammar and vocab. It does go well with French though and both together is a reasonable plan for linguists.

Can't help with computing, apart from the fact that it seems to be well regarded.
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Spanish and drama appear to be winning here.

DS started Spanish in Year 8 and seems quite keen. He didn't quite tell us the whole story wrt drama but is aware that the written element is at least 20% and possibly 30% of the course and he isn't put off by this.

I remember reading on another thread that there was a study period to be gained by doing the full course in RS. I wonder if this is possible at Parmiter's. The only drawback is that he will have an RS qualification this summer (Islam) so I'm not sure if this is worth looking into.
moved

Post by moved »

DD has 40% written component to her drama.