Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
VJ1

Where do I start? Reading, Berkshire

Post by VJ1 »

Hello,

I am a complete newbie so pls be kind.

I have a ds Year3 and dd in reception.

I know its still early, but i have just read a few articles about Tutors and 11plus, that its so hard to get into a grammer school now and tutors can charge up to £100/hr. Fine all well and good but......

When/Where/How should i start?????? He has been doing Kumon for a year(and i know kumon is like marmite) i would like now to end this and find a tutor. Apparently you need a tutor early, because there all booked up by year 5.

Im after some recommendations from people who have used tutors for grammer school in Reading/Wokingham area.

Other parents, dont actually mention any out side of school lessons their childeren are taking, we oftern find out at play dates, eg someone has just starting Spainish(and the these ppl come round regularlyto our house) etc. So at the moment have not any word of mouth recommends.

Ive seen the 3 listings on this website, has anyone used them?

Ideally i would like my boy in Reading School. I dont this private school is an option i think fess are 12k/year?

I shall also post this on the Reading School forum and may gets some help that way.

thanks

VJ
mitasol

Re: Where do I start? Reading, Berkshire

Post by mitasol »

Hi VJ1,

Welcome to the forum. :)

We like to provide a general warning about tutor recommendations.
Genuine recommendations by PM only (private message) are acceptable - but beware of the possibility that someone who appears to be offering a recommendation may have a vested interest! Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'. (It's easy to report a possible problem: just click on the 'report button' - the red exclamation mark.)

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with caution. However, there are many long standing members (check the date of joining and number of posts) who make a valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering seriously (while still exercising a degree of caution).

If you receive a recommendation from anyone else, please exercise extreme caution!

Note also:
Tutors can found in the online tutor directory by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/services/directory

Institutional Course details can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... us-courses

Intensive Holiday Courses can be found by following this link:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/servic ... CEM-11plus

Kind regards,

ForumAdmin
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

I'll copy this thread into Berks and delete your additional posts.
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

As the Reading exam focuses on KS2 maths and English with a mixed reasoning paper (verbal and non-verbal) there is lots you can DIY. :D

At this early stage focus on extending KS2 literacy and numeracy set at school. Have a look at introductory VR and NVR, some publishers do age related materials.

Talk to the tutors, be wary of those that charge a high rate for group tuition. A good tutor would be offering help and guidance with infrequent sessions if any at this early stage with a view to winning your custom in final year run up to the exam.

Thinking about the exams early gives you more time.

EDIT Have sent a PM private message, look at the top left of the screen and click on "new messages"
VJ1

Post by VJ1 »

Thank you for reply stevew61:

Is there anyone else out there to "give us a clue"?....

There is a place in slough im told that does courses?

My son has his parents evening on 13/2 so ill able to ask the teacher as well.....

VJ
VJ1

Post by VJ1 »

hi,
thanks for the pm's, will be back soon
VJ1

Post by VJ1 »

hi, ive been away so long and still nothing......anyways, ive been told by a 2 parents that they use a place in slough, ae tutors, I have phoned them and there statistics are apparently good 85% succuss. but elsewhere on the forum I have seen some negativty towards them. also at £1400 a year, 20 odd kids to a class, im not sure id rather give my son 3.5k in his bnk accoint on when he is 12. lol.
worriedandconfused

Post by worriedandconfused »

I would not recommend any particular tutor but with my own experience (DC going to GS in Reading) I would say it all depend on your DC. If they are capable then they just need steering to correct direction which could be you or a tutor. But definitely positive words of encouragement and motivation is very important and confidence in your DC. Good luck!!!
VJ1

Post by VJ1 »

thank you..
ssapthar

Post by ssapthar »

Dear Parents
Could you please send me a PM if you have good experience with tutors in and around Reading? My DS is Reading Boys hopeful. I'm lost :(

Thank you all!

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' posts seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members (check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Legitimate tutors are welcome to advertise their services properly on our website. Please see below.

Note:
  • • Tutors can found in the online tutor directory by clicking here

• Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now