North london indies for boys

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
fairyelephant

North london indies for boys

Post by fairyelephant »

Am biting my nails to the quick hoping for a place for dd at a north london indie this sept. but moving fast to the front of my mind is ds in year 5 - such bad planning! :oops: So far he has started maths and English with tutor, and I have done some Nvr/ vr, not much though... However the real cause for concern is that unless I am missing something, there just aren't as many options for ds. Highgate is our closest but it only has 20 places for boys, USC even less. There's city of course with a few more, but then what, Habs is a trek from here. Can anyone help, our primary is not full of info on this point!
NorthLondonMum

Re: North london indies for boys

Post by NorthLondonMum »

Probably worth adding Belmont/Mill Hill to your list.

Habs has a coach network so travel may not be as bad as it seems.

Westminster?!
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

I completely agree Fairy and posted something ages ago asking the same. My son only in y4 so it's neurosis on my part, but there doesn't seem to be a slightly less academic banker for boys. My son is around about top in his not particularly academic state primary so I think should be in with similarly levelled boys (well ideally everyone would be in mixed ability schools IMHO but given that this isn't the situation I'd like him to have a cohort that has enough like him. Argh I'm boring myself).
Anyway he's not a genius and doesn't have musical instrument etc, plus isn't v articulate at the moment. He's not a sure thing at the three schools you've mentioned unless I crack the whip big time for next two years, wh I really don't want to do.
Forest and Mill Hill?
Or in our case his teacher says he's the sort of boy who'd do well anywhere wh makes me think why not local state. Wh unfortunately isn't as mixed ability as I'd like due to many of his sort of ability going elsewhere.
Sigh.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Thanks NorthLondonMum, I'll look more closely at those. I have a feeling he's not really Westminster material!
Mrs Chips you have hit the nail on the head, there's just a lack of schools here. As I'm one year ahead you can follow me on here and learn from my mistakes! It may well be local comp for ds, apart from anything I'm not sure it would be good for your ego to fail to get in everywhere! Having said that I feel a lurch if fear in the pit of my stomach that this could happen to dd in the next few weeks. Crossing everything.....
Lady Byron

Post by Lady Byron »

Many people look at St Alban's boys as they do operate quite an extensive coach service. Also St Columbas, which is catholic.
Another option is to move your son to a prep school for years 7 and 8 for 13+ common entry. Many boys leave at 11 so there are often spaces. Keble in Winchmore Hill and Lochinver in Potters Bar often advertise this. Must be other preps perhaps closer to you that you could contact.
MrsChips

Post by MrsChips »

I grew up in Herts so I find the idea of my kids travelling out of the city I've chosen to live in a bit depressing (not that St Albans isn't a lovely place, it is, but we just don't live there and have actively chosen the city and all the advantages and disadvantages that come with that decision). I had a long journey to school which is why part of the reason we've chosen the local state instead of a private that we'd have to travel for.
I don't know Fairy, it's a dilemma. To go out for those three you mention and a) have a miserable time of it, b) possibly fail anyway (am convinced there's an element of lottery). It's not like I was that impressed with any of them anyway (yes I have visited them all despite son being in y4... sad).
The problem is in Highgate having gone co-ed. Girls still have Channing (which I'm guessing is now a tiny bit easier to get into than it was), but boys have lost a single sex option (and one that was by all accounts seen as softer one).
If you're nearer H Gate, Fairy, would your state be Highgate Woods? I hear such great things about it and it's just done v well in its GSCEs. I'd be very tempted if it were our nearest.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Thanks all for your kind suggestions. I am going to return to this thread when dd is sorted out (hopefully!) in a few short weeks, and put my thinking cap on.... :shock:
loveyouradvice

Post by loveyouradvice »

Fairy elephant - good luck

Forest is fab if you are NE london - lots from Islington/Highbury
Friends from NW of Heath send to MTS which they love - very trad.

Highgate isnt quite as bad as it seems - they say that their figures are more like 30-33 boys a year at 11+ as they're decreasing numbers at 13+.... still more boys than girls, but yes, very much co-ed.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

That is good news loveyouradvice, thanks!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now