Improving writing skills

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum-of-three

Improving writing skills

Post by mum-of-three »

Hi all
We are planning to diy for Sutton wilson grammar but my son's English writing skills are a bit immature and does not make good sense often. We do writing once a week and we have also finished the list of patricias helpful words. He is also used to of reading almost every day but still the situation is not improving. Can you guys please help me how to improve his story/essay writing skills? Please suggest any books or the way to go about this.... Really confused admit what else to do.
UmSusu

Re: Improving writing skills

Post by UmSusu »

I am no expert but there are many different aspects to writing a good story, including plot, descriptive techniques, structure and vocabulary. The problem my boys had was getting stuck on the plot and ignoring the other aspects or having too much happen so there was no meat on the story, just a series of events.

I think you can get round this by either picking a well known story (maybe a fairy tale?) or the plot of a cartoon they have watched and ask them to break up each scene and write about it with as much detail as possible - so you can get them to concentrate on the other aspects of creative writing other than the plot.

In a rush so let me know if I haven't explained properly. I found it great with my boys and there are lots of ways to explore things.

UmSusu
UmSusu
Bromleymum1

Re: Improving writing skills

Post by Bromleymum1 »

Hi all,

I used a book called "The secrets of writing," which is a Bond book. It's for supporting children for 11+, Common Entrance etc.. It goes over different tasks ie, letters, diary entries, fictional narratives, playscripts etc.. It then gives you ideas as to improve your writing, ie, any memories you have, borrow and steal (use a story you know and make it your own), interrogate and interview one of the characters to generate ideas and details. It suggests key words that can prompt and structure your memores/ideas (my son does this) using who?, what?, where?, when?, why?,how? (using one hand - fingers and palm) and then, see?, smell?, hear?, taste?, touch? and feel? (using other hand - fingers and palm). I hope this makes sense - but this one really works well with my son.

We still use this book for homework sometimes, for him to remember how best to complete his work. For example, writing a letter as a character from a book and more recently, writing a diary entry.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now