Interim reports at Secondary school

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ahap

Interim reports at Secondary school

Post by ahap »

DS at secondary year 7 got an interim report in October with grades for the subjects. He's got As and Bs for all of them which I was able to understand. Then he got another one for Sept-Nov 12 with target at the end year levels and achieved level. He's got 5a for English and his target level also states 5a. Does this mean he won't be given anything higher? His maths level is 6b and his target is 6a, this I think means he needs to work on it. We already had parents meeting in October after the first report, and as usual I kept smiling and nodding my head. When the teacher asks whether I have any questions I give an uncomfortable grin and say no, I'm happy thank you. Now I have this question to ask so I thought of asking on here. I also would like to know at what level he should be at the end of year for all subjects please if I'm not asking too much. I don't know when the next PT meeting is. My DS attends a state non selective local academy trust school. Any advice, explanations greatfully received. Thank you.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Guest55

Re: Interim reports at Secondary school

Post by Guest55 »

Levels at the end of Year 7 should be about two sub levels above his KS2 test levels.

A target can be exceeded and I'd ask why he has met his target so quickly .... was it 'challenging enough'?
Mindset

Post by Mindset »

Do you know what the target was based on? Some schools use CATs tests as they find them more reliable than KS2 levels. Or a combination of the two (sometimes with reading age added, or another measure.)

It may be that your child has made better than expected progress, I reckon the cure for that s a big well done hug! I also had a chat about how targets are made of tissue paper, and it's great fun to rip through them. When you're beneath them, you should be able to see the light through the tissue and it's important to know how to get to it... What steps can you put in place, what's needed for the higher level/sub level. Targets in the teachers marking, or the markscheme they give with a task should help you.

It's nice to see they're doing so well :-)
ahap

Post by ahap »

That's a good question, I'll ask that in the next meeting. Its good news that targets can be exceeded, because the target for Science is 6c and and he seems to have achieved that. Thanks G55.
His results at the end of KS2 :English TA overall L5, Speaking & Listening L5, Reading L5, Writing L5.
Test : Reading L5, Writing L5
Maths: TA L6, Test L5
Science: TA L5
There were no sub levels. So is he right on track?

Thanks Mindset, the targets had been set after doing a Test on the computer, which I believe could be CATs.

He's got a low target in one of the subjects though and that is for French which is 4b and his current attainment is 2c. Is this because it is a new language? How come it so low when all the other subjects have a target of L 6b & Art target 5c? Does he need to work on his French? He goes through it at the last minute before a test. He says he needs to practice. He seems to make a lot of spelling mistakes. What level should he be at for French?. What is expected from a child who is at a GS?
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes - MFL all start low don't worry!
ahap

Post by ahap »

Thank you :D .
Bromleymum1

Post by Bromleymum1 »

My DD is in Year 8, so I was in your position last year. Targets were 2 sub levels above her starting level. She achieved most of her targets, in some of her subjects, she was above target. When starting Year 8, they used her new levels and set her end of year targets, 2 sub levels higher. So, for example, in maths her target was a 6c but she got a 6b. Her new target for Year 8 is 7c.

She missed her targets for Spanish and German, but one term in, she has met those targets. Languages are one of those areas where they start from a low point and then can rapidly go through the levels, so you shouldn't worry about low levels early on.
KB

Post by KB »

Looks like you got pretty comprehensive answers on here :)
but in general, don't be worried about contacting your DC's form tutor (many schools have email provision for this now) and asking for clarification of anything that you are not clear about.
If you don't understand then the chances are there are lots of others in a similar position!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now