Some primary teachers opposed to 11 plus and grammars

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
crashtestdummy

Some primary teachers opposed to 11 plus and grammars

Post by crashtestdummy »

Have any parents whose children have passed the 11 Plus had any negative feedback from some primary teachers expressing their personal political views in the school? Have heard some anecdotal stuff from parents about teachers saying in front of kids they consider grammars to be elitist. Seems a shame personally held views are not kept to themselves and children who have passed just congratulated for their hard work.
Okanagan

Re: Some primary teachers opposed to 11 plus and grammars

Post by Okanagan »

Given that many, if not most, of today's primary teachers will themselves have been educated in the comprehensive system, in parts of the country where the grammar school system no longer existed, it is probably not something they are familiar, and thus comfortable, with, and that probably affects the way it is viewed. But it is a shame, and not very professional, if those views are expressed directly to the children.
mystery

Post by mystery »

He he, fortunately even the children who pass the 11plus probably don't understand the word elitist.
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

As ds1 is in two seperate sports performance programmes with "Elite" in their titles he probably thinks of it as a fairly commonplace part of vocabulary. But as a result his 11 year old's mind would also probably interpret a description of "elitist" as being complimentary.
mystery

Post by mystery »

:D Yes. I was thinking that those who had some concept of its meaning would think of it in a positive light. And maybe that's true of those who like grammars - the academic elitism is seen as a desirable attribute.
drummer

Post by drummer »

The previous head of our local Bucks junior school was vehemently and openly opposed to the Grammar School system. I attended a Head Teachers talk for prospective parents and and unsuspecting prospective parent asked her about the 11+ at which she unleashed a tirade, she also said that if she suspected that a pupil was being coached for the test that she was obliged by Bucks CC to 'shop' the pupil and that this would be used against them if their mark was marginal. She made it clear that this included using books at home from 'WHSmith' and that if you even ASKED for advice as to what materials you might use that you would be reported. The clear and deliberate implication was also that if such a child marginally PASSED that that pass could be rescinded!

It may not surprise you to know that in most years of her 'reign' no children qualified for Grammar School.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I think the key phrase is 'anecdotal stuff'
drummer

Post by drummer »

yoyo123 wrote:I think the key phrase is 'anecdotal stuff'
My story was not an anecdote but what I witnessed personally. When I first met the head a year or so prior to the incident mentioned above she personally told me that she was anti-grammar school specifically because she thought it was 'elitist' and that she strongly felt that all children should be educated together.

I am not saying her views are commonplace among Bucks primary head teachers (how could anyone possible know) but she did feel that way and let everyone know it.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I was referring to the original post, drummer. I think we cross posted
crashtestdummy

Post by crashtestdummy »

The anecdotal stuff to which I referred came from people I would normally consider reliable and they named the teacher concerned. I have no reason to doubt them or think they would have made it up. And the last post about a headteacher threatening to "shop" parents for coaching shows the strength of feeling that exists among some opposed to grammars.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now